RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 5.1/5.5/6.0

danielcollins90

Hi Everyone,

Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions..

I've had no end of fun and games with my MicroServer trying to get VMware onto it, I now have 16GB of RAM so that shouldn't be an issue.

ESXi 6.0 - Wouldn't install when I had 2GB of RAM, said It couldn't see my NIC's
ESXi 5.5 - Installed on both 2GB of RAM and 16GB of RAM, very breaky with 2GB and slowly becomes unusable when installed on my old USB stick. Won't install on SATA SSD (sticks at 5%) or on-board SD card. When working it works for a few minutes then just slowly stops responding.

ESXi 5.1 - Installs ok onto the SD card and I haven't tested further yet. 

Really want to get 6.0 on there if possible, just for future proofing reasons I suppose. 

I'm using the HP customized image but having mixed results, wonder if any one could enlighten me on there outcomes with the HP customized ISO or even the stock VMWare one?

Also would be interested in anyone's recommended BIOS settings. Need to upgrade BIOS but struggled to find out how, need to get a stable build of ESXi on then I can run the .shexe files.

Thanks

Daniel

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snapper

• GotNoTime

• AlexS

• danielcollins90

Hello,

I've ESXi 6 (free license) with 10GB RAM. It works perfectly. 2 GB RAM reserved for ESXi. Check up every components. No problems

If you install VMware tools, can look the ip of guest and shut down, pause, restart guest.

When i tried install the ESXi specific versión of HP, during the installation error appeared.

I recommenden use generic ESXi version.

Yep, running ESXi 6.0 without issue...

Download the HP DVD image (spp?) and it will update all your firmware without needing an os installed.

There is a link further up for it.

You need the HP esxi images because the stock ones don't have nic drivers, so the install will fail.

Make sure you are using a good quality usb stick of 8gb or more...

The only bios change I made rom default was to turn the disks into AHCI mode.

Edited by snapper

Well at the moment I'm using the iLO to install VMware which seems relatively fast, when I was having issues with it sticking at 5% I went to a USB stick. 

I'm downloading the drivers SPP now and I'm going to try that tonight, but I have to find someone with a big enough USB stick I can borrow at work ;)

Will ESXi 6.0 Run on 6GB RAM and stock processor from USB please? I am running Win 8.1 as OS

Edited by symbiosis

I recommenden use generic ESXi version.

You should use the HP customised version unless you're willing to manually install all the various HP drivers, tools and management components.

I've tested the HP version of ESXi 5.1, 5.5 and 6.0 on my Gen8 Microserver and all work fine assuming you have enough RAM.

Will ESXi 6.0 Run on 6GB RAM and stock processor from USB please? I am running Win 8.1 as OS

Yes. Expect ESXi 6.0 to take 1.5-2GB though for its own use. You won't be able to do VT-d with the stock processor so passthrough of PCIe devices or the USB controller won't be possible.

So I've done the SPP disk which actually downgraded my BIOS.. upgraded my iLO and the network card I believe.

ESXi 6 is now not saying that I don't have any NIC's but It's doing pretty much what ESXi 5.5 did and sticks at 5% forever and a day. Trying to install onto an onboard MicroSD.

I might try the generic one, I'm really not having much luck with the HP ones.

So I've done the SPP disk which actually downgraded my BIOS.. upgraded my iLO and the network card I believe.

Eh? Downgraded your BIOS? What was it at and what is it now?

ESXi 6 is now not saying that I don't have any NIC's but It's doing pretty much what ESXi 5.5 did and sticks at 5% forever and a day. Trying to install onto an onboard MicroSD.

The no NICs error means the driver didn't load properly which is usually caused by insufficient RAM but you said you had 16GB.

What is in your microserver? Any other changes?

I might try the generic one, I'm really not having much luck with the HP ones.

The HP one works fine for me and I've tried the 5.1, 5.5 and 6.0 images. All work perfectly. There is a known performance issue with the hpvsa driver for the B120i but that just causes slow IO. ESXi still works. Edited by GotNoTime

I booted back into my backup BIOS which was later (06/06/2014) it flashed 11/09/13 from the SPP disk. 

The only thing I can think of is, after a few attempts through the iLO I've resulted to just making a bootable USB stick. Which, It then reports the ISO's I was using were corrupt..

I think the iLO web-ui is corrupting them as ones I've made USB stick's from before are now saying corrupt. 

Regardless - now I made a fresh bootable USB stick from a non-corrupt image, stuck at 5%.. 

Could you link me to the image you used? Just to make sure I'm definitely using the right one?

Oh and to answer your question, I have a single 80GB Intel SATA SSD and 16GB of RAM + 32GB MicroSD

That's it..