RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
fudge

Several attempts to POST a brand new Gen8 - problem?

fudge

Have you attempted to load an OS?

Yes.

@Schoondoggy - How many initialization COMPLETES take place and server resets are logged when you power on your Gen8.?

My recent capture shows 3 initializations to 100% and 4 entries in the iLO Event Log recorded as Server Resets, with Caution severity.

To recap:

1. Press Power button on front of Gen8 from cold.

2. Early System Initialization Progress reaches 10% and then server restarts

3. Early System Initialization Progress reaches 100% Complete

4. Early System Initialization Progress starts back at 10% and reaches 100%

5. Repeat #5

6. Moves on to 'Sea of Sensors' screen.

7. Boots OS

Between steps 1 and 6 there are at least 4 Caution severity level entries logged in iLO Event Log as Server Reset.

I am querying these steps. Is this normal behaviour amongst other Gen8 owners.? I would have expected one initialization to COMPLETE

See my full power on to boot and the contents of the iLO Event log for this event in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZKAzrCXQA

I deploy Gen8 and Gen9 Proliant DL's in my workplace (which use iLO 4 also) and don't see this type of behaviour.

The server has been just bought May 2015 taken out box, no mods, no additions, BIOS tweak - Disable NIC boot, only NIC and iLO has now been updated to latest Firmware.

Thanks for your responses.

GotNoTime

1. Press Power button on front of Gen8 from cold.

2. Early System Initialization Progress reaches 10% and then server restarts

3. Early System Initialization Progress reaches 100% Complete

Mine goes to the graphical boot screen at this point with the little feature boxes in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Between steps 1 and 6 there are at least 4 Caution severity level entries logged in iLO Event Log as Server Reset.

I only get 1 in the iLO event log.

I am querying these steps. Is this normal behaviour amongst other Gen8 owners.? I would have expected one initialization to COMPLETE

No. It isn't normal.

The server has been just bought May 2015 taken out box, no mods, no additions, BIOS tweak - Disable NIC boot, only NIC and iLO has now been updated to latest Firmware.

You need to contact HP and open a support case. They're pretty good even without an extra Care Pack attached.

fudge

After a couple of months with HP support and some troubleshooting ..Motherboard is getting swapped out by HP to a specific revision. Await to see the results.

fudge

HP have swapped to a C1 revision motherboard (was B1 rev.) - still same symptoms.

HP have swapped the CPU - still same symptoms.

The BIOS delivered on the C1 was the 2013.08. ilo was 2.03. The B1 had the 2014.06.06 and iLO 2.10 (updated from 2.03)

Same symptoms with or without disks in the chassis.

But stranger is that after trying without disks, we remove the AC from the server and populate the disks.

Now plug AC in the server is dead, no green LED.

Have to wait or come back to server say 10 minutes later and it will power on.. bizarre.

iLO now updated to 2.10 and BIOS 2014.06.06

Will await the next hardware elimination step - as AHS log sent of for analysis.

Will keep the post updated...

Even HP can't confirm or deny if this is expected behaviour....at this moment.!

Edited by fudge

fudge

I think I have nailed the root cause of this issue/behaviour.

HP even sent me a replacement microserver. I now have 2 microservers currently. Need to send old one back  :( ... (C1)

So I was able to cross-check and repeatedly do quicker tests.

This microserver is a D1 version motherboard now. Came with BIOS from July 2015 and iLO4 2.30.

Upon connecting power and plugging a monitor in, no hard disks or additional cards.

Powered on and the server did 3 Early System Initialization cycles before moving onto the HP logo screen and Sea of Sensors screen.

After that screen it said to please run RBSU. This is obvious as its from the factory.

Opening RBSU and checking Date/Time find that the clock is set to the date and time of the BIOS datestamp.

Set the time to current time and F10

Server resets and powers up to perform 1 ESI.

Each time it performs 1 ESI from a standby power on.

And from a cold power on it performs 1 ESI consistently.

Power down and pull power cord.

(At this point I will state that my microserver gen8 is being used for xpenology.)

Proceeded to connect/insert xpenology (bootable USB thumb drive on the mobo USB port) + hard disks which are in a SHR configuration into the disk cage.

Cold Power on and 1 ESI. Good.

Shutdown DSM and switch off power to server at socket.

Later on....

Cold Power on and 3 ESI events are seen. Prompted to run RBSU.

Check RBSU Date/Time and its reset back to the firmware BIOS datestamp. !

Doing some digging I found this post which near confirms this behaviour attributable when XPENOLOGY is on the server.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8660-how-to-prevent-bios-rbsu-reset-to-default/

Therefore it would appear if you shutdown then power off to cold a microserver gen8 running xpenology, you may likely see at power on 3 Early System Initialization which records as 3 separate Server Reset entries in the iLO server log. Subsequently find that prompted to run RBSU and find that the BIOS Date/Time has been reset.