RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GEN 8 Install Query

luckyfabian

Hi there,

Just acquired a new Gen8 Microserver. I have downloaded the free VMware Hypervisor ESXi 6.0 and plan to put it onto USB key to install on the USB port on the motherboard.

I have an install CD of Win2012 Server, so I am presuming I would connect an external portable USB drive via one of the USB ports...

My question is, would I use an SSD as my root drive which I would install the Win2012 OS to and that would be my one VM??

I am thinking if an SSD is required to install it onto the remaining onboard SATA connection on the motherboard, am I right in thinking the single VM/OS I can run with ESXi 6.0 would reside on the installed SSD?
Your ray of light would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Lucky

Install ESX on the USB though best to use the iso from HP with CD/DVD on USB if no advanced ilo license ( can use trial for 30 days to accomplish this)

When time to install Server 2012R2 make a raid 0 single drive for the onboard Sata. you server dvd or iso you can mount via the VMware client off your PC

This will leave with 4 bays on the gen 8 you can use for bulk storage though if only running a single vm the only thing you really gain is portability of the server to another host

remember a single 2012 license include 2 vms on the standard sku

• Like 1

Hello Yodafett,

Many thanks for replying!

I initially downloaded ESXi 6.0 iso directly from VMware but now I have downloaded the HP Custom Image as per your recommendation and will place on a USB stick. You are saying its better to burn the ISO onto a dvd/cd? I have no advanced ilo license (what would I need that for?) Sorry I am fairly new to this all... So what you're saying is to connect an SSD to the onboard SATA connection, mount the OS image via the VMware client and install the OS.

So with the evaluation HP custom image of vmware, is this the same as the ESXi 6.0 software directly from VMware where we can only run one VM?

My apologies, I did not quite understand when you said 

"remember a single 2012 license include 2 vms on the standard sku "

Many thanks,

Lucky

Yes it is the same as vmware' but has the drivers for Nics and the b120i included. Advanced ilo license can be purchased off amazon for 25 for remote ISO mounting as well as console into server so no monitor mouse or keyboard will be needed though rarely needed for esx. Esx free license is unlimited on number of VMs, 1 CPU unlimited cores and ram. If you wanted you could build a server with a 18 core 32 thread cpu with 392gb of ram running 50 VMs and be legit. Just need the windows licensing.

Thats fantastic, thankyou for clearing that up for me Yodafett... I have an install CD of Windows 2012 Server with a volume license, now if I put the VMware/HP file onto a USB stick, it will boot the yellow and black VMware window yes? Can I add an SSD to the onboard SATA connection and install Win2012 Server via an extermal USB player, I presume VMware loads an image of the OS elsewhere? If so, would the image need to reside on the SSD?

Many thanks,

Lucky

Yes you can boot ESXi hypervisor to a 8-16GB usb drive.  best to burn its iso to dvd and load the os with usb only installed on the server.   then make the ssd a single driver raid 0 and you can put VMs on that.   to install 2012 the client you run on the pc can access your ISO file of 2012 or your local cd over the network

Hi Yodafett, 

Thankyou so much for your patience, I'm just searching for an SSD to buy, and I will pick up a 16gb stick to put the HP/VMware files onto to boot from.

So my understanding is once I've booted VMware, I can mount the external USB drive and install from the Win2012 DVD, which is not an ISO it is the installation files to install the OS... does that sound right or am I thinking I need to convert this install DVD into an ISO DVD and run an installation?

Also, my understanding is of ILO after doing a quick read is that I can access the Server via an IE session and administer/run with it from my PC over the network (I have no switch or network connection currently for the Microserver, just my PC).

Quick question... if I was to add a wifi dongle and connect it to my wireless router and connect to the wireless network in my house, could I connect to the ILO from my PC? Or would it have to be a physical RJ45 connection from a router/switch? Would I need to buy a license to access the ILO4 and use its features?

So say for now without using the ILO I'd have to connect a monitor and keyboard and mouse to use the Server on my main monitor for now (which has multiple inputs so I can switch over) this sound alright to you?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Lucky

Hi Yodafett, 

Thankyou so much for your patience, I'm just searching for an SSD to buy, and I will pick up a 16gb stick to put the HP/VMware files onto to boot from.

So my understanding is once I've booted VMware, I can mount the external USB drive and install from the Win2012 DVD, which is not an ISO it is the installation files to install the OS... does that sound right or am I thinking I need to convert this install DVD into an ISO DVD and run an installation?

You can do it three ways.

Quickest method is to upload an ISO image of your OS install media to the ESXi datastore. You can then attach it to the virtual optical drive inside your VM.

Easiest method is to place the DVD into your desktop DVD drive. Using the vSphere client, you can then mount your client device into the VM.

The final method is to place the DVD into the DVD drive in the Gen8 Microserver. Using the vSphere client, you can then mount the host device into the VM.

I doubt that ESXi will work properly with a USB DVD drive or USB HD to store the OS install media. I've always used the first method as it is quicker and easier to repeat in the future since the OS image is already there and doesn't require transfer over the network during installation.

Quick question... if I was to add a wifi dongle and connect it to my wireless router and connect to the wireless network in my house, could I connect to the ILO from my PC?

No. iLO doesn't support that. You have to use a physical wired connection. iLO has no idea about the USB ports as they're under control of the server itself.

ESXi also has no idea how to operate WiFi devices. You have to use an external AP if you want to bridge it.

Would I need to buy a license to access the ILO4 and use its features?

Yes. You need an iLO Essentials or iLO Advanced license that is compatible with the Gen8 Microserver. A lot of the really cheap licenses on eBay are the old style license which is not compatible. You need to check the model codes yourself before buying.

So say for now without using the ILO I'd have to connect a monitor and keyboard and mouse to use the Server on my main monitor for now (which has multiple inputs so I can switch over) this sound alright to you?

You'd only need to do that during installation of ESXi. Once ESXi is installed, the monitor output is rarely used. Everything is done with the vSphere client or the commandline tools.

You can request an iLO trial license which is good for 30 days to install ESXi.

Thankyou for your response GotNoTime...

So ok, the ESXi Datastore is accessible via ESXi when its booted, or is it accessible via the Vsphere Client? 

Is the Vsphere Client a seperate download I have to download and install on top of ESXi on the USB stick? Or is it a program I download and install on my PC?

I have the HP/VMware vers6 downloaded which I will put onto the USB stick to boot from... just not sure where to get Vsphere client from if it is seperate...

You mentioned before that I would have to use an external access point if I want to bridge the ILO/server to my PC so I can access it with the trial ILO or advanced ILO license (will have to look for one in the UK) At home I am using TPlink over electrical mains networking hardware in the house, would you say I link it via an electrical socket/network plug adaptor back to one of the four ports of my router so I can access the Vsphere Client from my PC over the network without having to use a seperate monitor/key/mouse on my  Microserver?

Or would you say it is better to use the HP Switch thats designed to go with the Microserver (sorry forget the model# right now). 

So ok, the ESXi Datastore is accessible via ESXi when its booted, or is it accessible via the Vsphere Client?

The usual method to access it is via the vSphere client.

Is the Vsphere Client a seperate download I have to download and install on top of ESXi on the USB stick? Or is it a program I download and install on my PC?

It is a C# Windows app that you install on your laptop/desktop.

I have the HP/VMware vers6 downloaded which I will put onto the USB stick to boot from... just not sure where to get Vsphere client from if it is seperate...

Once you've installed ESXi, access it using a web browser and a link to the vSphere client is there. You can also download it directly from vmware.com.

You mentioned before that I would have to use an external access point if I want to bridge the ILO/server to my PC so I can access it with the trial ILO or advanced ILO license (will have to look for one in the UK) At home I am using TPlink over electrical mains networking hardware in the house, would you say I link it via an electrical socket/network plug adaptor back to one of the four ports of my router so I can access the Vsphere Client from my PC over the network without having to use a seperate monitor/key/mouse on my  Microserver?

Or would you say it is better to use the HP Switch thats designed to go with the Microserver (sorry forget the model# right now).

The access point would be if you wanted the microserver to use WiFi.

If you've got wired ethernet then just a plain gigabit capable switch will be enough. You don't need the special HP switch as the extra features from that is mainly iLO integration and it isn't essential. The main advantage is that it fits on top or under the Microserver to make it look tidier.