RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yodafett

External SAS to SATA Cable

yodafett

I recently purchased an External SAS to SATA cable off of ebay for 15.00 and it came in today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251462174373?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It came in today from china and works great on the workbench.  attached 3 250gb drives to it and a power pack from a sata to usb drive convertor  rebooted and created a 465GB Raid 5 lun.  will test it more but the cable does come sheathed with only the last 12inches exposed.   Could possibly use a gen 1 microserver case or mediasmart cases as the external enclosure or might make my own and put 4 2tb in there to mess around with though http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=196 would let you possibly power it from the internal powersupply and just sit it on top   Brings the drive count on a single Gen8 up to 14 via the SDM

5 on B120i (including on board sata port)

4 on P222 internal

4 on P222 external

Bluray on USB to SlimSata via on board USB convertor

• Like 2

Joe_Miner

Wow, nice find! Looking forward to your test results!

jmwills

How long did it take to arrive?

Drashna Jaelre

Well, that's almost a waste, if you stick with the SAS connector, you can get approximately 128 drives connected to this card. :)

But if you just need the 4 drives, then this is perfect. 

Though, I'm curious if the P222 supports port multipliers

GotNoTime

Though, I'm curious if the P222 supports port multipliers

I've tried connecting an Intel RES2SV240 SAS expander to the P222 external port. It sort of works. Any extra devices attached to the expander do get detected by the P222 and appear to function properly. The odd part is that there is a warning at startup by the P222 where it complains that it can't communicate with the enclosure processor. The expander card appears to be fully working as it is properly detected and controlled by the various LSI/Intel tools including operations such as firmware update.

Drashna Jaelre

I've tried connecting an Intel RES2SV240 SAS expander to the P222 external port. It sort of works. Any extra devices attached to the expander do get detected by the P222 and appear to function properly. The odd part is that there is a warning at startup by the P222 where it complains that it can't communicate with the enclosure processor. The expander card appears to be fully working as it is properly detected and controlled by the various LSI/Intel tools including operations such as firmware update.

That is pretty odd

Most likely a glitch wit the P222 firmware, as opposed to anything else.

And that intel card is pretty nice. :)

yodafett

i plan to liberate a 24 bay Direct attached storage from work but this is more for the average hss user

took less than 2 weeks to get it from china

GotNoTime

That is pretty odd

Most likely a glitch wit the P222 firmware, as opposed to anything else.

And that intel card is pretty nice. :)

Oops! Sorry. I misread your other post and thought you were talking about SAS expanders when you had actually mentioned port multipliers.

I'm not sure if port multipliers work on the HP cards. I do have a small one here but I don't have the necessary cable to plug it in to test it.

Drashna Jaelre

i plan to liberate a 24 bay Direct attached storage from work but this is more for the average hss user

took less than 2 weeks to get it from china

Very nice, Very jealous. Those things get expensive quickly.

If you get a spare... I'd be interested. ;)

Oops! Sorry. I misread your other post and thought you were talking about SAS expanders when you had actually mentioned port multipliers.

I'm not sure if port multipliers work on the HP cards. I do have a small one here but I don't have the necessary cable to plug it in to test it.

Yeah, exactly. I know PMs work on some cards (such as the HighPoint and knock-off HighPoint cards).

But SAS expanders are definitely the better way to go in the long run.