RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 Upgrade Project

venno

Hi All

I have a G8 microserver coming and am looking to use it to replace my ESXi whitebox and turning the whitebox into my desktop PC, this will also be an upgrade for my current desktop so I am planning to reuse as many parts as possible.

For the new ESXi/Gen8 box I would be looking to remove the HDD cage to free up space inside to fit a core i5-3470 with a hyper 212 evo fitted. Would also put my 2 x 8GB non-ecc ram sticks from current whitebox into G8, should work as new CPU supports non-ecc. If the cpu runs to hot I will go to plan B and resuse the stock heatsink and attach a Geil 40mm fan as side mount push, would also have to try undervolting/underclocking cpu in this instance.

I will relocate my intel pci-e dual nic PT1000 card from whitebox to G8. The only other addition will be the usb thumb drive with ESXi on it, all storage is located remotely on Syno NAS using iscsi from intel nic card.

I figure because I am not putting any HDDs in the box that the overall proposed config will fit within the power envelope of the G8 psu, so the only real issue will be temps and cooling.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar as opposed to using the ecc supporting cpu's and/or the low TDP cpu's.

cheers

fit a core i5-3470 with a hyper 212 evo fitted.

The heatsink mounts on the Gen8 Microserver motherboard aren't standard. They're an unusual distance apart. Some people have said that they've managed to get specific third party heatsinks mounted by only using two screws though.

would also have to try undervolting/underclocking cpu in this instance.

You can't alter the core voltage or clock frequency on ProLiants. You can disable turbo boost and limit the number of cores active though. Edited by GotNoTime

The heatsink mounts on the Gen8 Microserver motherboard aren't standard. They're an unusual distance apart. Some people have said that they've managed to get specific third party heatsinks mounted by only using two screws though.

You can't alter the core voltage or clock frequency on ProLiants. You can disable turbo boost and limit the number of cores active though.

I have seen the posts were the akasa 25 was successfully mounted, this may be an option if the evo can't be made to work, which may well be the way forward if undervolting is not an issue. Have also seen were a push side mount fan has been used on the stock heatsink to good effect.

The TDP of the i5 is 77w so just a bit higher than the e1230 that has been made to run successfully on stock heatsink without pushing temps over the edge.

I have seen the posts were the akasa 25 was successfully mounted, this may be an option if the evo can't be made to work, which may well be the way forward if undervolting is not an issue.

Yeah. The Akasa K25 fits if you only attach it with 2 diagonally opposing mounts.

The TDP of the i5 is 77w so just a bit higher than the e1230 that has been made to run successfully on stock heatsink without pushing temps over the edge.

You'll probably be okay with the i5 so long as you change the cooling profile in RBSU and the microserver isn't used in excessively hot environments. It will cause a corresponding increase in fan noise though since the fan is under the control of iLO and you can't directly control them. The default minimum cooling profile is quite likely to cause the CPU to overheat and start throttling.

I've got a 45W Xeon E3 1265Lv2 in my Gen8 Microserver and that gets quite close to the thermal limits with the minimum cooling profile. A 77W i5 will definitely exceed those limits if under heavy load. Changing to the middle profile significantly reduces temperatures.

I've got a 45W Xeon E3 1265Lv2 in my Gen8 Microserver and that gets quite close to the thermal limits with the minimum cooling profile. A 77W i5 will definitely exceed those limits if under heavy load. Changing to the middle profile significantly reduces temperatures.

Good to know that you can juggle the profile without having to change anything else. Are you using the stock heatsink without fan for the xeon?

Good to know that you can juggle the profile without having to change anything else. Are you using the stock heatsink without fan for the xeon?

Yes. Stock heatsink without any additions and the stock case fan.

I have to ask, why?

If you are going to heavily modify the Gen8, why not go with a mini ITX case and board?

I have to ask, why?

If you are going to heavily modify the Gen8, why not go with a mini ITX case and board?

I am performing parallel tasks of upgrading my desktop using the mini itx (current vm machine) and using leftover parts from desktop to build up G8 Esxi server. The overall aim is to use what it is at my disposal without spending any coin where and if possible.

Why did you choose a Gen8 Microserver?

The price was very good (guess G9 due soon) and then a bonus $50 voucher to sweeten the deal. Especially value for something had that has 2 inbuilt nics as well as the ILO port which will be a big bonus for ESXi.