RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mark8par1

Home server choice help please

Mark8par1

I am looking to upgrade my synology ds211j

I am looking at the hp proliant g1610t but am a little stuck with a few things.

Maybe if I explain what I want to use it for someone with knowledge can point me in the right direction.

Ok so I want to,

1. store all my music and movies and access it from a Mac mini or iMac through iTunes.

2. Setup a vps server so I can run trading software (metatrader 4) this needs to be running all of the time and have access away from home. The setup programme is windows based and I would prefer not to gave to use anything like wine to get it to work.

3. Access from outside the home to add and remove files for work

The only people using it will be me, the Mrs and the kids for movies.

I am really stuck on which software to use and windows server seems super expensive.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Mark8par1

itGeeks

I am looking to upgrade my synology ds211j

I am looking at the hp proliant g1610t but am a little stuck with a few things.

Maybe if I explain what I want to use it for someone with knowledge can point me in the right direction.

Ok so I want to,

1. store all my music and movies and access it from a Mac mini or iMac through iTunes.

2. Setup a vps server so I can run trading software (metatrader 4) this needs to be running all of the time and have access away from home. The setup programme is windows based and I would prefer not to gave to use anything like wine to get it to work.

3. Access from outside the home to add and remove files for work

The only people using it will be me, the Mrs and the kids for movies.

I am really stuck on which software to use and windows server seems super expensive.

Thanks in advance

How much data are we talking about? It was not till I got to the part of you want to run windows software that I would of said have a look at the Synology boxes as long as your not wanting to do on-the-fly trans-coding. Synology are great boxes and there is a hole host of applications that they have to do just about anything  :) https://www.synology.com/en-us/ If your willing to install the windows programe on a another box then you could get something cheap like the new HP Stream mini desktop and install something like Team Viewer free for home use to access it and use the Synology for everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKzwjJrMfCw

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R7R1GWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ooops, I see now after reading your post again that your looking to replace a Synology box so I am sorry about that. I still stand strong about my recommendation  :rolleyes:

Edited by MrFixit

Mark8par1

Thanks for the reply.

I have decided to go for the Qnap TS453 Pro, it seems to tick alot of boxes for me, without the complication of building something myself and picking software etc.

Mark