RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Homer-S

client restore wizard crashes at pasword entry

Homer-S

Hello,

I have a horrible week behind me. First the crash of my server and now my laptop.

After a Windows update the Laptop was stuck in a system restore loop. Nothing helped and at the end I had to format the SSD because I have known that the Laptop is regularly saved by the WHS2011.

After reinstalling of Win7 and installing all drivers i tried to run ClientRestoreWizard found in Server folder Windows\Client restore. I did try both version (just in case) but both (X64 / 32bit) are crashing exactly at the same position.

I am running the Wizard as admin and it is looking for the server. Obviously it can be found becaause the entry field for the password is appearing. When I try to enter it the app crashes. again and again.

I am really desperate and hope you have some more ideas.

Thats the error message:
Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: ClientRestoreWizard.exe
Anwendungsversion: 6.1.8800.16400
Anwendungszeitstempel: 509495a6
Fehlermodulname: ClientRestoreWizard.exe
Fehlermodulversion: 6.1.8800.16400
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 509495a6
Ausnahmecode: c0000025
Ausnahmeoffset: 0000000000089f35
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: b985
Zusatzinformation 2: b985f176248ce1d18549c768b4a2eac4
Zusatzinformation 3: 8527
Zusatzinformation 4: 8527a803d6483ceda5533a599024791e

Drashna Jaelre

It fails when looking for the server?

If that's the case, it may not have the proper network drivers. Even though they're being installed, they may not be installed properly .... which yes, is stupid but I've seen similar before.

Do you know what network adapter is being used?

Also, check on the server. Specifically in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" for any "backup" logs. This may help indicate what the issue is, if it's not network related.

Absolutely worst case here... run "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\bin\Client Restore\1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216\X64\ClientRestoreWizard.exe"

This will start the restore wizard. Be VERY VERY VERY careful here, as you could break you setup if you select the wrong option.  But you can restore to a locally attached drive this way. Restore to the system drive for the laptop this way. Assuming it's not integrated into the device.