RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2 NICs and WHS. Is it supported?

jcollison

I've found a solution. Here's what I did: I realized that my router restricts traffic so that I will only get the 4 MB/s. I was using that IP because I knew that was the one on the gigabit connection. When I used the one on the FE connection, I was able to get the full 12.5 MB/s (It was actually like 14 at first). So I simply changed my firewall to allow my 100 mbit as the DMZ (So that IT had the public IP), and the gigabit was my private connection. So now I can use both depending on where I cam without the performance drop This is WHS 2011, so on this edition you CAN indeed use 2 NICs if you want to assign different IP addresses. Just beware of your network infrastructure so that you know what might slow it down. WHS 2011 also supports bridging, but I did not try it. If I ever go to a RAID configuration I will install my second gigabit card and bridge the connections to see what I get. For now, I'm happy getting the 40 MB/s on my old 7200 RPM SATA I. I will upgrade, but it's requiring a complete rebuild ;) Anyways, upgrade to WHS 2011 if you want to use multiple NICs, particularly with multiple IP Addresses. Let me know if you have any questions

So your WHS is sitting in a DMZ?  No firewall protection?

I've found a solution. Here's what I did: I realized that my router restricts traffic so that I will only get the 4 MB/s. I was using that IP because I knew that was the one on the gigabit connection. When I used the one on the FE connection, I was able to get the full 12.5 MB/s (It was actually like 14 at first). So I simply changed my firewall to allow my 100 mbit as the DMZ (So that IT had the public IP), and the gigabit was my private connection. So now I can use both depending on where I cam without the performance drop This is WHS 2011, so on this edition you CAN indeed use 2 NICs if you want to assign different IP addresses. Just beware of your network infrastructure so that you know what might slow it down. WHS 2011 also supports bridging, but I did not try it. If I ever go to a RAID configuration I will install my second gigabit card and bridge the connections to see what I get. For now, I'm happy getting the 40 MB/s on my old 7200 RPM SATA I. I will upgrade, but it's requiring a complete rebuild ;) Anyways, upgrade to WHS 2011 if you want to use multiple NICs, particularly with multiple IP Addresses. Let me know if you have any questions

I might be missing something but you DMZ should not be on the inside of your network but rather outside your server/firewall to the router/modem.

I might be missing something but you DMZ should not be on the inside of your network but rather outside your server/firewall to the router/modem.

Kinda hard to call it a DMZ if it isn't outside, isn't it?

• 6 months later...