RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BIOS settings etc

symbiosis

Hello again all

Here's my setup and what I'm hoping to achieve:

I have a 250 GB SATA drive installed in the ODD space for my OS (windows 8.1 Pro)

I have 2 x 3TB Sata drives installed in slots 1&2 that I wish to use in a raid 1 configuration 

I will be adding another 2 drives to slots 3&4 later for an additional raid 1 

A few basic questions:

1) Does the intelligent provisioning not work? I wonder why people are choosing to install via a bootable USB rather than going that option?

2) What BIOS settings should I have set for the SATA configuration to achieve my aims? Its currently set to SATA AHCI

Thanks

1.Generally IP only works for supported OS's and Windows 8.1 is not one of them.

2. If you enable the B120i you can boot from any of the 5 drive ports. You would need to configure the 250GB drive as a RAID0 and the others as RAID1 pairs . If you want to use AHCI then you need to follow these instruction to boot from the ODD port and use the OS for your RAID1 pairs:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539

• Like 1

Thanks - I dont necessarily need the AHCI so I guess I would be better off setting the BIOS to enable the B120i RAID controller. Thing is, even when its enabled its not seeing the 2 x 3TB drives, just the 250 GB drive

Are you entering the setup utility for the B120i during boot?

I have to ask, have you checked to be sure the drive is all the way in the slot before pushing down the latch?

You should also check the cable connection from the backplane to the motherboard to be sure it is properly in place.

• Like 1

Hi - thanks for the suggestions. When you mention entering the setup utility for the B120i during boot - is this the F5 option that takes you to the menu where you view the drives? If so, then yes - I can see only one available drive on the spare SATA with no un-allocated drives in the menu. 

Understandable question regarding the drives being all the way in and yes I'm fairly sure they are - I will certainly check the backplane connection tonight