RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 (G1610T) Help

rattyjunk

Hello everyone!! I've just signed up to the forum in hope of getting some guidance, but I must admit I'm a total beginner when it comes to servers.

I'll be using my MicroServer as a media server and intend to install Windows 7 home premium 32bit at some point tomorrow. I've purchased a SSD which I've installed already into the empty optical drive bay as well as a HD 6450 GPU. I've yet to power on the server because I'm not sure how to initiate the install. I know I must first setup the SSD as raid 0 and then install the OS.

1) Do I do this through ILO? In which case how do I initialise ILO?

2) Setting up my SSD, will that also be done through ILO.

3) with regards to system updates, will these be done once the server is connected to the internet?

4) Is it correct that due to me installing a GPU that I won't be able to remotely connect to my server?

5) Which Ethernet port do I use, There are 3 of them.:)

A quick nudge in the right direction would be very welcome!!!

Thank you everyone.....

1) Normally, but in your case, refer to 4)

2) This is don't through the HP Storage Manager, which you get into by pushing F5 (I think, I could be wrong, I'm not in front of my machine at the moment). It says on the screen what to press as its booting up

3) For HP "stuff" in the Microserver, you launch the "Intelligent Provisioning" service (F10 I think) and it starts a graphical interface that lets you get updates.

4) Correct. iLo needs to use the onboard graphics card to allow remote access to the server. I'm not sure of a GPU will totally kill all the iLo features.

5) The 2 network ports beside themselves are the actual servers network cards, you can plug into either of these. The 1 plug off on its own is the dedicated iLo plug, which when connected, will fetch an IP address from your router and then you can connect to it.

1) Normally, but in your case, refer to 4)

2) This is don't through the HP Storage Manager, which you get into by pushing F5 (I think, I could be wrong, I'm not in front of my machine at the moment). It says on the screen what to press as its booting up

3) For HP "stuff" in the Microserver, you launch the "Intelligent Provisioning" service (F10 I think) and it starts a graphical interface that lets you get updates.

4) Correct. iLo needs to use the onboard graphics card to allow remote access to the server. I'm not sure of a GPU will totally kill all the iLo features.

5) The 2 network ports beside themselves are the actual servers network cards, you can plug into either of these. The 1 plug off on its own is the dedicated iLo plug, which when connected, will fetch an IP address from your router and then you can connect to it.

Thank you for the help.....

So with all my hardware installed, including the GPU and my drive configured in HP Storage Manager, how do I manually install windows 7 when Intelligent Provisioning does not support Win7 and what F key launches I'll.

Sorry for my silly question, I'm sure this is easy right :) ??