RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cant install an OS

symbiosis

Hi All

Tearing my hair out here trying to install an OS - I'm a total newbie and this is my first server, so please bear with me

I have installed an extra drive to the spare SATA port and it shows up fine in the BIOS etc

I go to F10 to try and install the OS on this drive (Its the only one I have installed thus far) and I have tried:

1) Windows 8.1 Pro ISO on USB - the server sees the ISO but when I double click it does nothing, no messages or any clues

2) Windows 7 Pro install disk in a USB connected ODD - the server see's the drive but says there's no suitable media (also does this with my Win 7 install disk)

Any clues where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks I have but when I go into the one time boot menu I select option 1 for CD but it then fails telling me that it attempted to boot from C Drive and (suprise suprise since its a blank disk)  that there's no bootmgr. My CD drive is attached via USB

Is the CD bootable?  What utility did you use to create the image on the disc?

Do I need to have an ISO of the OS install on the disk or can I use the normal install media disk and install by booting to it? 

In answer to your question, the win 8.1 iso was a mocrosoft download and the win 7 iso i created using iso recorder. I've tried booting to both the normal install media and the iso disk but nothing.

I also put the iso on a USB drive which the server sees but does nothing when I double click it

When you say you put the ISO on a USB drive, did you copy the file or did you use a program to load the image onto the USB drive?