RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Failed to install OMV on Gen8 1610T due to GRUB

lee3star

hi guys, 

I plugged a 1T sata to on board sata using floppy power, then booted with OMV iso usb key to install OMV on the 1T sata disk. Everything went fine until I got the GRUB error: 

Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda

Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda failed.

This is a fatal error.

Then I cannot move forward. 

My Gen8 1610T has 4 bay loaded with 4x3TB SATA disks, so together with the usb key, I have 6 disks listed.

Any ideas? I tried to install Debian on the box and it failed with the same error. 

You generally can't boot off the ODD port once you add drives to the main bays, unless you do some messing about with putting the boot loader on a microSD card in the motherboard slot.  It's a nightmare.

Thanks for the reply. 

Can you share with me some details on the microSD card walkround? How to achieve it? Any links? thanks in advance.

You generally can't boot off the ODD port once you add drives to the main bays, unless you do some messing about with putting the boot loader on a microSD card in the motherboard slot.  It's a nightmare.

I had a similar issue on my MicroServer.  I'm running Debian with all 4 bays in use.  Basically, insert MicroSD into a Linux box, and create partition and mkfs.  Mount the filesystem and use grub-install to install GRUB to the MicroSD.

Put MicroSD in the MicroServer and boot.  You should be dumped to the GRUB command line.  Here try ls and see if you can identify the hard drive name (hdX) for the SSD. Then you want to try running commands like the following:

set root='hdX'
chainloader +1
boot

This should point GRUB root (NOT the linux root) to the correct hard disk, and then chain load to the boot loader on the SSD.

Once you confirm the above has worked, mount the MicroSD again and add the above into your grub.cfg and save so the config change is persisted.

Hope that helps.. Not in front of my machine at the moment so can't give you better instructions, but that should get you started :)

If you get stuck identifying your drive (hdX) at the grub command line, you can try insmod part_msdos or whatever the module is for GPT then run commands such as ls (hdX)/ to show partitions to give you some hints on what drive is what.

Thanks Syner. 

I tried the following but no luck:

1) sudo fdisk /dev/sdb, created a primary partition on a micro SD card

2) sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1

3) sudo mkdir /media/usb/boot

4) sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb/boot -t ext4

5) sudo grub-install --force --boot-directory=/media/usb/boot /dev/sdb

6) sudo umount /dev/sdb1

7) inserted the microsd card to HP Gen8

8) powered on the server, the server didn't boot from microsd card

Did I do anything wrong? HP server is able to see the microsd card but says it's not a HP microsd card. I'm using a normal microsd card(from an old phone) Does that matter?

Thanks in advance! 

I had a similar issue on my MicroServer.  I'm running Debian with all 4 bays in use.  Basically, insert MicroSD into a Linux box, and create partition and mkfs.  Mount the filesystem and use grub-install to install GRUB to the MicroSD.

Put MicroSD in the MicroServer and boot.  You should be dumped to the GRUB command line.  Here try ls and see if you can identify the hard drive name (hdX) for the SSD. Then you want to try running commands like the following:

set root='hdX'
chainloader +1
boot

This should point GRUB root (NOT the linux root) to the correct hard disk, and then chain load to the boot loader on the SSD.

Once you confirm the above has worked, mount the MicroSD again and add the above into your grub.cfg and save so the config change is persisted.

Hope that helps.. Not in front of my machine at the moment so can't give you better instructions, but that should get you started :)

If you get stuck identifying your drive (hdX) at the grub command line, you can try insmod part_msdos or whatever the module is for GPT then run commands such as ls (hdX)/ to show partitions to give you some hints on what drive is what.

I had faced the same issue, if you install the OS on the SSD and you're not using the B120i RAID you will struggle to boot.

I'm running OMV too on my MicroServer and yes, you can use the MicroSD or the internal USB drive to boot from and start the OS in another drive.

This is, in my opinion, a big pain.

I had found a workaround that works for me: I'm using the MicroSD card as OS drive.

The card I have chose in a Samsung MicroSD PRO 32 GB. I have been running the same OS on the same type of card for over 2 years on the Raspbery Pi (and that had swap enabled); never seen a failure.

To do so the procedure I followed is:

- Remove all the drives

- Insert a blank MicroSD card

- Install the OS onto the MicroSD Card (Grub will install just fine)

- Connect the 4 drives in they bays and the one in the ODD port.

At this stage you should have OMV booting just fine and you should be able to use it.

Mount the hard drives, create your raid arrays via mdadm, etc, you can use the 5th hard drive as a spare data drive.

As in the ODD bay I have got an SSD I'm using this to cache the data to transfer from and to the NAS to the client in the network.

If you're worried about the MicroSD card duration, you can lower the data written to the OS drive by following: http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/6438-Tutorial-Experimental-Reducing-OMV-s-disk-writes-also-to-install-it-on-USB-flash/?pageNo=1.

The ave thread covers how to reduce the writes via openmediavault-flashmemory.

If I may make another suggestion, if yo're not concerned about directory and file access time, you can add the parameters "noatime,nodiratime" into the /etc/fstab file for every mounted drive.

Mainly you would do that to the OS drive but you'd see slightly better performances if you do so on the other drives too as by adding that parameters you won't be writing (useless) information every time you access a directory or a file.

By doing so my OMV installation is writing in average 25-30MB a day to the OS drive.

For comparison, the same installation, without the plugin and without the 2 parameters was writing in average 800-900 MB a day to the OS SD Card when used in the Raspberry Pi.

nevertheless the SD Card used for a couple of years in the Raspberry Pi is still good.

Additionally, if you want to be 100% covered in case of MiCroSD card failure, buy another SD card, the same brand and size of the one you will be using as OS Drive. Buy also a USB to MicroSD Adapater.

When you have your OS up and running and all configured as you like:

- Shut down the MicroServer

- Boot CloneZilla via ILO or USB key

- Clone the OS SD Card (will show up as ILO-Integrated-MicroSD) to the second card connected via the USB Peterhead (likely to show up as Generic-MicroSD)

At this stage you would have a full backup of your OS drive, should anything fail, just swap the SD cards and you will be back up and running in minutes.

You can then buy another SD card (again, same brand and size as in this way cloning the card is easier) and repeat the above procedure to have another backup.

On a side note, I've chosen 16 GB MicroSD card as they're cheap and reliable , given OMV only needs 1.5 GB of space I ahve created a second aprtition on the same card and I'm storing the plugin config backup in the 2nd partition (as OMV does not allow to use the OS drive for this purpose). In this way, any time I take a backuup of the SD card I don't only back-up the OS drive and its configuration but the plugins configuration as well.

You could opt for a smaller one if you want.

Regards,

Tommy

Thanks Tommy, but unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. 

I unpluged all 4 bay drivers and the 5th sata(floppy), had only micro SD and a bootable OMV USB plugged in. Everything went fine until the GRUB installation, where it failed with exactly same error I got earlier: 

"

Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda

Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda failed.

This is a fatal error.

"

I start to wonder where the problem could be. 

1) any configuration in BIOS? I'm using ARCI, what else needs to be configured?
2) what OVM or Debian version are you using? 

Thanks again!

I finally bypassed the problem! It seems to be the GRUB installation issue on OMV image.

below are the steps:

1) formatted a microsd card to ext4

2) plugged in the microsd card, 1T sata to floppy, and a bootable debian 8 installation USB

3) powered on the server, booted from USB, installed debian on 1T sata, installed GRUB on the microSD card

4) restarted the box, it's successfully started to run debian 8

5) shutdown the server, plugged in all 4 bay SATA disks

6) started the box, debian's running, with all disk: microSD has GRUD and boot record, 1T SATA has debian 8, 4 SATA disks not configured yet

All good but OMV not installed :(

tried to follow this link: http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/5302-Howto-install-OpenMediaVault-on-Debian-7-x-Wheezy/, but got dependency issues. some php5 modules cannot be installed. 

Does OMV run on Debian 8? 

one thing to add, for debian 8, no need to unplug any SATA disks. it will just install and run fine. 

but how to install OMV on debian 8? helps, guys!