RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

hp proliant microserver gen8 g2020t As a media server

IanR

Frist i gess i should say hi all     Hi all from the uk  

I would like to get some info in my idea to replace my server (  i3 8gb ram 14Tb win 7 64bit) with a smaller hp proliant microserver gen8 g2020t so i went and got one i have read up on here how people have used the opic drive sata on the motherboard to boot os from a ssd 120gb that would leave me with 2x 4tb wd red and 2x 3tb wd green .

Each tv in my home have a WD Live box as there not smart tvs ( Yet !!) 

so here my Q what do i need to do and how ????? there are so many of you on here that have tryed differnt things i am not sure? 

Hello from elsewhere in the UK...

What OS knowledge do you have?

There are loads of different ways to setup the Gen8, you really do need to give us a bit more info..

Mine for instance is running on Server2012r2 with the Server Essentials role.

Hyper-V

VM for Plex

VM for Torrents

Xeon E3-1260

16Gb RAM

Extra NIC (For the VM's)

HP Optical drive

1x256Gb Samsung 840Pro as boot drive in bay 1

3x4tb Seagate drives

Using Drivepool to stick them all together, Scanner to keep an eye on them

Very Little  does the Xeon E3-1260 and 16 Gb Ram make that much dif if i am only using it to stream files to a WD Live box ?

I want to use the Optical drive for my ssd with os on it.

Edited by IanR

I was finding Plex was being slow as we now have multiple devices at home and the G1610T I started with wasnt really coping well given we have 2 Apple TV's, 3 iPads and 3 phones setup to use it so I upgraded to an i3-3220T and then to the Xeon, the 16Gb of RAM helps as I like to give the VM's at least 4 each to play with.

I've got one of the USB to microSATA connectors so I will move my Optical drive to USB at somepoint and rebuild with the SSD stuck somewhere in the case and then run with 4 drives in the main chassis, just not sure which way I'll do it yet, I might get rid of the extra NIC and put a card in there that will give me all 4 bays on SATA3...

Dont think so no, optical drive on USB will show up in the OS though so thats the way I am doing it, plus USB vs SATA speeds, I'd rather have the SSD on something it can use rather than be crippled by...

I'm running a p222 raid controller...as i wanted Raid 5 and all 4 bays running @ full speed. Read write performance increased over the built in controller and the p410 I tried.

Ssd in the odd port for the OS

Edited by samuk

I dont need raid as i back up bt i relly with to keep all four bays for 4x4tb wd red and use the 120 ssd for os so i think if i use a usb to  odd and use the sata on the mother board then i can run win7 64 bit what do you think?

Here is how I had my Gen8 configured at one point. DVD drive on a USB to SATA, SSD on the SATA port for the ODD. four data drives in the bays:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7545-gen-8-usb-slim-sata-adapter-for-odd/

You need to enable the B120i and set all of the drives to single RAID0, HP's version of JBOD.

You can also use AHCI if you follow these steps:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539

As for CPU and memory, I tend to go overboard. I would go with a XEON and 16GB. 

You may not need that much, but it sounds like you have many devices that could pull data from this box.