RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best way to share files with professional clients?

nathanhay

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and I relatively new to the inner workings of NAS. Please excuse me if this topic already exists, but since I don't exactly know how to identify and therefore verbalize the issue I'm having, I didn't know what to search for.

I have been running a Synology DS214play in a Mac (OSX Yosemite) environment for about a year now, and I have been very happy with it, but one thing has always perplexed me.

I am primarily a video editor by trade, and whenever I finish a cut of a project, I obviously need to submit it to a client to review. I normally just use a file transfer service such as WeTransfer or dropbox etc., but file size limitations and other oddities can sometimes disqualify their use.

I'm fully aware you can generate share links from any file on the NAS, but this is the trouble I'm having. When I generate a link (either within the Cloud Station app on my mac or from the Disk Station web UI) from the machine that is connected to the same network that the server lives on, the resulting link includes a string of numbers (My IP or something I assume) and is only useable if it's used by a computer on the network, which of course my clients are not. HOWEVER I have found that if I generate a link from a computer outside of my home network, the link is good for anyone outside of my home network.

So I find myself remotely logging into a machine outside of my network just to log in and generate a link that I client could actually use, and this is a very annoying work-around. So I suppose my question is, What do you call the problem I am having, and what are my options to fix it???

I hope I've done a decent enough job trying to descrive what's happening, I'd really appreciate some help! I've attached a shot of the type of link that I DON'T want.

Thanks!

-Nathan

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 6.25.49 PM.jpg

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and I relatively new to the inner workings of NAS. Please excuse me if this topic already exists, but since I don't exactly know how to identify and therefore verbalize the issue I'm having, I didn't know what to search for.

I have been running a Synology DS214play in a Mac (OSX Yosemite) environment for about a year now, and I have been very happy with it, but one thing has always perplexed me.

I am primarily a video editor by trade, and whenever I finish a cut of a project, I obviously need to submit it to a client to review. I normally just use a file transfer service such as WeTransfer or dropbox etc., but file size limitations and other oddities can sometimes disqualify their use.

I'm fully aware you can generate share links from any file on the NAS, but this is the trouble I'm having. When I generate a link (either within the Cloud Station app on my mac or from the Disk Station web UI) from the machine that is connected to the same network that the server lives on, the resulting link includes a string of numbers (My IP or something I assume) and is only useable if it's used by a computer on the network, which of course my clients are not. HOWEVER I have found that if I generate a link from a computer outside of my home network, the link is good for anyone outside of my home network.

So I find myself remotely logging into a machine outside of my network just to log in and generate a link that I client could actually use, and this is a very annoying work-around. So I suppose my question is, What do you call the problem I am having, and what are my options to fix it???

I hope I've done a decent enough job trying to descrive what's happening, I'd really appreciate some help! I've attached a shot of the type of link that I DON'T want.

Thanks!

-Nathan

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-12 at 6.25.49 PM.jpg

I own Synology boxes but I have never tried to share a link, Cant you just change the IP address after the link is created? Looking at the screen shot it looks like you should be able to. I just tried a test and when it creates the link for me it uses my public domain so I think what you have to do is create DDNS on the Synology box or setup a QuickConnect ID and that should fix your trouble.

Have a look at these links-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0R1ZO7r-CQ

https://help.synology.com/dsm/?section=DSM&version=5.2&link=Tutorial%2Fcloud_set_up_quickconnect.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8020/synology-ds214play-intel-evansport-almost-done-right/8

Edited by MrFixit