RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Max number of clients

Ken

I have a home server with 10 clients. One of my clients had a problem, and I reinstalled Windows 7 instead of doing a restore.

After reinstalling Windows, using the exact same Windows version, product key, hardware, computer name and workgroup, I was hoping to be able to connect to WHS, but WHS thinks this is a new PC and I cannot connect.

I do not want to delete the old backups since I have data there that I want to be able to retrieve later.

Anybody knows why I can not just continue backups using the same computer name. What is WHS looking at to determine if this is a new PC or an existing??

Thanks, Ken

I have a home server with 10 clients. One of my clients had a problem, and I reinstalled Windows 7 instead of doing a restore.

After reinstalling Windows, using the exact same Windows version, product key, hardware, computer name and workgroup, I was hoping to be able to connect to WHS, but WHS thinks this is a new PC and I cannot connect.

I do not want to delete the old backups since I have data there that I want to be able to retrieve later.

Anybody knows why I can not just continue backups using the same computer name. What is WHS looking at to determine if this is a new PC or an existing??

Thanks, Ken

Ken there is a registry hack you will have to do to get WHS to associate the old backups with the new install. As with all registry hacks use at your own risk. Read timotl response in this thread.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-EN/whssoftware/thread/57692f65-a2f6-41f0-9ac3-3442e3f2b43a

fasthair

• Like 1