RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot SSD from optical drive bay

Riz

Hi All

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I got the machine (xeon/8g) delivered last week and it is a beauty!  

got the debian8 running with raid controller disabled, setup the zfs on 4 drives. Still experimenting with basic setup before I start playing with virtualization.

I was thinking of adding 120gb boot crucial ssd for the empty optical bay. 

1- Can I boot off the ssd in top optical bay. does ssd in optical bay show in boot menu?

2- Which power connector I need ? can someone please point to the amazon or newegg link.

3- Do I need some bracket to hold it in the top slot. is there any available on the schoondoggy store?

Thanks

Riz

I managed to boot on the SATA5 (ODD bay) only by adding the SSD alone as a RAID0 array. It had to be the first logical volume. Other tries were unsuccessful because the microserver always tried to boot from SATA1 (first HDD bay).

Thanks tezray and Octavian

so I need the following

1- sata to sata-right angled cable (to connect from sdd to motherboard)

2- 5.25 molex to sata adapter (something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Female-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B000WOOWGW)to connect the odd power to sdd power

3- setup the sdd as raid 0? but I want to keep the hardware raid disabled . I read that ahci is not supported but does the connector fall back to ide? or it just doesnt show as boot drive

I've set the SSD to RAID0 as the first volume. To power the SSD I made myself an adapter from Floppy -> SATA and used for Data a standard SATA cable from an older Motherboard.

To fix it I had some cords from a Seasonic power supply which were very good to be used for this purpose. It does not look nice, but it works and this is all that matters.

Future plans are to upgrade the RAM from 2->8GB and to change the processor from G1610T -> Xeon 1265L V2.

Please see here a picture:

SSD.jpg

Edited by OctavianH
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Octavian

Got the ssd to boot

1- Get Molex 5.25 1-malte-2-female y-spliter and spilt the power from top molex

2- Connect Molex to sata adapter and connect to ssd power

3- Set Raid Controller to Raid Mode in bios

4- Now you will see regular 3.5 drives + 1 unassigned drives in Hp raid controller settings

5- Create a single ssd raid0 array, add one logical volume to that array

6- put linux iso on usb and boot from usb

7- Install linux on ssd during install

8- after install gen8 will boot from ssd raid0

9- type lsblk and you will have all your 3.5 drives

10- now , if you like, you can install zfs and add drives to pool or zfs will recognize drives if they already were part of previous pool

• 3 months later...

Thanks Octavian

Got the ssd to boot

1- Get Molex 5.25 1-malte-2-female y-spliter and spilt the power from top molex

2- Connect Molex to sata adapter and connect to ssd power

3- Set Raid Controller to Raid Mode in bios

4- Now you will see regular 3.5 drives + 1 unassigned drives in Hp raid controller settings

5- Create a single ssd raid0 array, add one logical volume to that array

6- put linux iso on usb and boot from usb

7- Install linux on ssd during install

8- after install gen8 will boot from ssd raid0

9- type lsblk and you will have all your 3.5 drives

10- now , if you like, you can install zfs and add drives to pool or zfs will recognize drives if they already were part of previous pool

Is there a way of doing this in Windows?

I created single drive RAID0 array for my SSD, installed Windows 10 Pro, created 2nd RAID1+0 array with the 3.5" drives. But windows doesnt detect them in disk management or device manager. Am I missing something?

Younugy, I am not sure about Windows , But maybe some other member can help.

Maybe you can start another thread with ssd on odd bay on Windows or something and refer to this thread

Edited by Riz