RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
muscleflex

Proliant N40L almost out of space

muscleflex

Hi all - I'm almost out of drive space on my N40L server (I use this to store my home photos/videos and movies).

The server has an HDMI card and connected to my tv so I can watch my movies as well.

I have 4x 1tb drives in there and I have around 250gb left (I use drivepool)

I'm running WHS2011 on a separate 128gb SSD

Do I replace the hard drives with bigger ones or should i buy a NAS?

Edited by muscleflex

GotNoTime

It is hard to answer this question as it all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. If you're happy with the N40L then just buy drives and migrate your data across. If you want another server or a faster server then possibly think about upgrading to a G8 microserver even if you just use it as a NAS since they're heavily discounted at the moment.

jmwills

Do you have a place where you can offload that data?  Where are your backups?

jsox

If you are using one of the non-RAID drive pooling solutions and have a place to move enough data off to free up the drives one at a time then I recommend doing that. It is what I did when I was running low. I use StableBit DrivePool. First I turned off all folder duplication (to free up space). Then I told it which drive to prepare to remove form the pool. Then I replaced that drive with a bigger one and added it to the pool and BOOM! more space. Then I turned folder duplication back on as desired, etc. Repeat as necessary. If you must remove data from the drives rather than just turning off duplication it gets more complicated but with multi-Terabyte USB drives costing only $100 or so that problem solves relatively easily. And you can use that external drive as a snapshot backup for another layer of protection.

• Like 1

muscleflex

Thanks. I kinda fancy a faster server as well...

I don't have a backup. Everything is on this server.