RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wildwestgoh

8-bay DAS & eSATA card.

wildwestgoh

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a 8-bay DAS to connect to my humble home server at home.

The 8-bay model is H82-SU3S2 (Mediasonic / Hotway)

I have searched, even asked both the manufacturer, Mediasonic replied that SIL3132 chipset is recommended, but when I asked SybaUSA about the card that Mediasonic recommend, it's a no-go (no more than 4 drives per eSATA port). The card is Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E.

So I got confused, luckily I didn't went ahead with the purchase and regret it. Now I need some solid answer, which chipset capable of support up to 8 drives per eSATA port?

I have also searched Marvell 9128, 9170 but none of them provides enough details, but most would state 4 drives per eSATA port, of which does not compatible with the unit that I planned.

I was thinking of getting 2 units of the 4-bay model but the extra power socket is not to my liking, and also the external power brick.

Any experienced can help me?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor "asian" english.

schoondoggy

What is your home server OS? I would go with SAS connection and bays for 8 drives. I will post some links.

wildwestgoh

Thanks for quick reply.

Unfortunately that DAS unit is only eSATA capable, the other option is USB3.

Server OS is Windows Home Server 2011.

GotNoTime

I have searched, even asked both the manufacturer, Mediasonic replied that SIL3132 chipset is recommended, but when I asked SybaUSA about the card that Mediasonic recommend, it's a no-go (no more than 4 drives per eSATA port). The card is Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E.

The Mediasonic page for the H82-SU32 says that their own HP1-SS3 card supports it. The HP1-SS3 uses a ASMedia ASM1061 controller.

The Sil3132 does appear to only support a maximum of 5 drives on a port multiplier per port. Even if it did support 8 drives, you wouldn't want it anyway since it is a SATA II 3Gbps controller. The Mediasonic enclosure is capable of 6Gbps. You have to squeeze all data to/from your drives over a single eSATA link and you'll already be bottlenecked by it. You don't want to make it 2x worse by using SATA II 3Gbps.

Schoondoggy's suggestion of SAS is a much better idea than this enclosure as it will generally be faster and more reliable. If you really have to use eSATA then finding an enclosure which has 2 ports so the drives are spread out more will be a better option than this Mediasonic enclosure.

Edited by GotNoTime

wildwestgoh

The Mediasonic page for the H82-SU32 says that their own HP1-SS3 card supports it. The HP1-SS3 uses a ASMedia ASM1061 controller.

The Sil3132 does appear to only support a maximum of 5 drives on a port multiplier per port. Even if it did support 8 drives, you wouldn't want it anyway since it is a SATA II 3Gbps controller. The Mediasonic enclosure is capable of 6Gbps. You have to squeeze all data to/from your drives over a single eSATA link and you'll already be bottlenecked by it. You don't want to make it 2x worse by using SATA II 3Gbps.

Schoondoggy's suggestion of SAS is a much better idea than this enclosure as it will generally be faster and more reliable. If you really have to use eSATA then finding an enclosure which has 2 ports so the drives are spread out more will be a better option than this Mediasonic enclosure.

Thanks for the suggestion, but according to the HP1-SS3's spec, it only able to support 4 drives max per port, which is why I'm still in confused state.

Did found a thread some where state the Mediasonic reply it works with SIL3132 chipset card, capable of accessing all 8 drives, but unsure if it is capable of connecting 2 of the same units though.

Anyway, speed is not much of a concern to me, I won't be using any RAID (software nor hardware) and most would be just 2 to 3 persons accessing the little server for movies.

How about Marvell's alternative? I think I read about it being a better performance than SIL3132, just not so sure if it will support the 8-bay.

Although much more expensive, I would like at one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-miniSAS-Trayless-Hotswap-Enclosures/dp/B00E7BID5M

Here is a SAS HBA you could use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261769858222?lpid=82&chn=ps

Are you using DrivePool or Software RAID?

Thank you for your recommendation, then again, it's quite out of my budget (about twice as much).

Even order one of the H82-SU3S2 locally cost me over $30 postage, I dare not think about ordering oversea and faced with DOA, one of the reason I source locally.

And I am not going to RAID it, not so critical data on them, just need bunch of capacity and if possible able to monitor the SMART will do, will keep an eye using HDDScan or Speedfan.

Well, current situation is I have 4 bare drives laying doing nothing, the other 4 is at the little server (max num of drives). Swapping drives is a headache to manage all the files.

Thanks again for all your replies.

wildwestgoh

Thanks but... does not ship to Malaysia... :sad:

And, it's really huge.. (from the picture), sadly most seller don't ship to Malaysia, it's a shame could not get the best stuff out there.

Anyway, I already ordered H82-SU3S2, I got replied from Hotway it can support 2 units connected to a single eSATA card, which is a plus for me, it seems the Port Multiplier in the enclosure already done its job with its cascaded JMB321 (2 chips).

Also, according to Hotway, the compatible card is this... Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E.

Thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated although could not take them.

Drashna Jaelre

the Marvell chipset may work, but the ASMedia ASM1061 will (but it has poor/inaccurate documentation).

And as for the Silicon Image card.... they have a file system filter that installs as part of their driver. The only reason for doing so is to add an additional delay to write requests in the case that the card temporarily disconnects a drive (which happens frequently).  And that's not counting the system instability or BSODs that these cards tend to cause as well.  (I've owned a few ... never again).