RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to Gen8

luckyfabian

Hi All,

I have bought myself a Gen8 Microserver. I initially thought I'd have the 4 bays for storage and an internal bay for the root disk but I am unsure if there is an internal bay and whether I need to run the OS on the 1st bay drive?

I know unbelievably n00b question but can someone take me out of the dark please?

Cheers

Lucky

You have a ODD port on the motor board - i put a SSD on here and installed the OS.

The internal 4 bays, first 2 are 6GB and the other 2 are 3GB..

I used a P222 raid controller in my G8 @ £190 and connected this to the drive cage - so all 4 bays work at the faster speeds and i needed RAID 5.

Also i bought a converter for the ODD port to make this work at the faster speed. 

So all depends on how much you want to spend - but the cheapest option is to install the OS on a SSD and use the internal bays for data (RAID 0 or RAID 1)

• Like 1

Hi there many thanks for replying... Ok thats cool, so I can connect the optical drive with the cable and then use the blue ODD SATA port on the motherboard for an SSD? 

My question now is, how can I use the same blue ODD port for both the optical drive for installation and root drive/SSD at the same time?

Your help is much appreciated.

I know unbelievably n00b question but can someone take me out of the dark please?

Cheers

Hi! U may use _internal_  bay with SD or USB for OS (if that OS ESXi), and put any what U need OS to 4drives bay as storage, U'll save money. If U need fast hdd operation U may use SSD as cache disk.

Any way U need to try all variants ;-)

Best way to get around this is to use the sata for the boot drive in a raid 0 single drive configuration.   For the CD ROM you can use a slimsata to USB cable that you can find on amazon for about 10 buck to run it to the onboard usb.   Be forewarned that the opticle drive is 9.5 mm and not 12 so they are a bit tougher to source.

• Like 1

Thankyou for replying all. I am thinking to get a USB stick and would like to run ESX on it and have an install dvd of Win2012 Server which I want to use. How can I achieve this? I understand ESX is VMWare's Enterprise software, how can I obtain ESX and load it onto a large (64/128GB) stick and plug it into the USB socket on the motherboard directly? Would ESX "boot" an image of an OS, which is either stored on one of the bay drives (which would be raid 1 mirrored with the 2nd drive?) or would I install an SSD and plug into the blue SATA connection on the motherboard and boot the image from there? Incredibly n00b I know... cheers

I'm pretty sure that your thread ends there chap, while torrents/p2p etc can be used for legit reasons asking which cracked version of something you can use isn't likely to get you far on here...

If you want a free hyper-visor then I am sure there are plenty out there without having to resort to illegal versions, I for one wouldn't want to run a dodgy copy of something that my entire infrastructure is based on not knowing if whoever cracked it has also backdoored it in some fashion...

Trig0r, point taken... I am merely asking what version of VMWare that I can use could be used from a USB stick... if you know? Or other free hypervisors that can be used?

Cheers,

~L~