RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding data store issues ESXi

djcla

Hi

Ive added 3 x 2tb disks to my microserver in a raid 0 and and created a new data store using max space available.  I want this to be my file store for the Ubuntu server VM however when I try and add a new virtual hard disk using lazy thick provisioning and create it on this datastore at the max size 5.54 TB ( I think it was) I get an error about disk cap control being out of range.  Is there a maximum size limit?  Im using Vspere 6 free .

I can add 3.64 TB disk on its own and then when I try to add a remaining disk of 1.82TB to use the whole capacity it tells me insufficient space but works at 1.8TB no idea whats going on there and how I work out max allowed.

I get an error about disk cap control being out of range.  Is there a maximum size limit?  Im using Vspere 6 free .

The C# vSphere client doesn't support creating > 4TB VMDKs. The hypervisor itself does support it but this was a vSphere 5.5 feature and since VMware no longer add features to the C# client, you get that error.

You have 3 options:

1. Use the vSphere web client. This means getting a paid license for vCenter though.

2. Use VMware Workstation to remote admin your vSphere host.

3. Use vmkfstools from the console or via SSH to create/extend the VMDK manually.

Edited by GotNoTime

How was I able to create a vmdk at 3.64TB using the vsphere client then?  I have to say this software is a right pain to use .

Also do I need to format the drives within Ubuntu server to ext4 as they do not appear to have a file system

Edited by djcla

How was I able to create a vmdk at 3.64TB using the vsphere client then?

The C# client limit is 4TB. The VMDK limit was 2TB. I wrote the wrong one.

I have to say this software is a right pain to use .

All of the bare metal hypervisors were designed for large enterprises trying to consolidate all of their servers. You're supposed to get training and certification to do this professionally.

Most of your problems are due to the old C# client. A real vSphere installation would be using the much nicer and up to date web client.

Also do I need to format the drives within Ubuntu server to ext4 as they do not appear to have a file system

vSphere just gives you an empty drive. What you do with it afterwards is up to you. It doesn't care or know what the filesystem is on it so you'll need to format it yourself.

ok so I create a new datastore using all the logical drive space available can call it Media_Store and it shows as 5.46TB then I run SSH and using vmkfstools I should somehow being to create a virtual disk using all the space?

ok so I create a new datastore using all the logical drive space available can call it Media_Store and it shows as 5.46TB then I run SSH and using vmkfstools I should somehow being to create a virtual disk using all the space?

Yes. You just can't do it from the C# client. Edited by GotNoTime

ok I used SSH and then went to the datastore folder /vmfs/volumes/store name

then I was able to run " vmkfstools -c 5.4589tb name.vmdk "

1000mb seems to be in use already and this was the max I could get it to size wise

Its a lot faster this way too for some reason

Edited by djcla

I have added to Ubuntu server and formatted as ext4 so will see how it goes. Is this a good way of creating a file store which I will create samba shares from?

Is this a good way of creating a file store which I will create samba shares from?

You either do this or use RDM to map the raw drive to your VM. I hope you've got a good backup schedule + system as you're using a RAID 0 array.