RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Would you buy given the following conditions and circumstances?

syner

Hi guys,

I bought a HP MicroServer Gen8 a while ago which I thoroughly enjoy, however here in Australia it's practically impossible to get one of the lower powered Xeons to run in it.  It would cost me around $500 AUD due to poor exchange rate plus relying on a mail forwarder.  I currently use the MicroServer as an all-in-one solution -- NAS, firewall, test VMs, etc.

I would like to dedicate it purely as a NAS, and look at another server for homelab purposes without worrying about messing up my RAID array.  So, the next option was a Dell PowerEdge T20 with the Xeon.  It seems like this machine is reasonably cheap for here ($590) with good options for future upgradeability.  I can put a Xeon in it which is relatively easy to find, up to 32 GB RAM across 4 slots, etc.  I can't see why I would pay $500+ for the Xeon to put in the MicroServer when I can get the PowerEdge T20 for $589 as a whole machine which the potential to upgrade in the future.

Now, it seems they have been pulled from the Dell Australia site.  There are a few retailers around who still have stock.  I'm unsure what my other options would be.  I could do a whitebox build, but it seems hard to find SuperMicro boards locally and they're quite expensive.  If I were to compile a list of components I needed for a whitebox build, it would end up being quite expensive ($1k plus, I'd imagine).  The only other option I can see is a Lenovo ThinkServer, but they start at around $1,100 which is probably a bit too pricey.  I'm unsure on whether there's likely to be a MicroServer Gen9, so I'm not sure what to do.

One part of me is happy to wait as my current server meets my current needs as an all-in-one, however it seems like lower powered servers are a bit of a niche market, and I'm worried if I wait and miss out, it will be quite a while before something else comes along.  Would you save and wait for something newer to come out, or are lower powered smaller form servers a bit of a rarity and you're better off jumping in when you get the chance?

Any thoughts would he much appreciated.  I realise there's no iDRAC with the T20, so I would need to upgrade to a Xeon to get Intel AMT for any OOB management stuff.  Would you jump on the chance for a T20 now while they're still available and upgrade slowly as you can afford to do so, or wait around for something else which may or may not come?

Cheers

Edited by syner

Look up HP's ML10 V2 think of it as a midtower microserver with better cooling so easier to upgrade to better xeons as well as ships with a xeon. same raid and ilo as the microserver so gives you similar hardware and settings

Always better value to build your own.  SuperMicro MB with a Xeon makes for a top server.

Have you looked here for a good value board in Australia.  I use them and find them very helpful.

http://www.alfa.com.au/

Normally I would agree, but HP is blowing out ML10 Xeons for $220. Not sure I could build a similar system for that price.

We are well and truly price gouged here.. Cheapest I've been able to find the HP ML10 with E3-1220v2 is around $900 AUD.  For the ML10v2, I'd be looking at around $1,200+

• 1 month later...

Managed to find a site selling the T20 with G3220 for $532 AUD.  It's pretty tempting, to be honest.. Much better upgrade options - 32GB RAM, more PCIe slots, newer Xeon processors which seem pretty easy to come by -- although I'm not sure exactly which processors are supported or reported to have worked.

Would any of the E3-12xx v3 Haswell CPUs work that are up to 84w (this is what the E3-1225v3 runs)?  I haven't been able to find much information on people upgrading the CPU apart from the Xeon E3-1225 v3 which comes with the server..

Edited by syner