RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bluecrush4x4

Re-installing Home server 2011 driver issues

bluecrush4x4

Hey all,

I have recently had back surgery and thought it would be a good time to update my HS 2011. I had the HS 2008

and basically recycled the hardware, installed an ssd, and loaded HS 2011. So in the past few weeks I picked up

and new case, MOBO, (ASRocks Z97Pro4) power supply, i5-4690K chip, 8 gigs DDR3, and a new ssd. Figured 

I would spend the time and set it up the way I really wanted to.

Anyway, I'm a bit rusty and haven't loaded software in a while, but I can't seam to get it to take the drivers. I have the 

resource disc that came with the MOBO and have also downloaded it from mfg. web site. Most specifically it won't

let me install the lan / ethernet controller. I have slid in an optic drive and have installing from the original disc. I have

also tried putting drivers on a flash drive with no luck. I checked and a win7 64 bit driver should work, and I have seen

others use this MOBO for a 2011 build.

I have been sniffing around trying to figure out what I'm doing back a$$wards with no luck. Any input would be super!

Thanks!

Jon

Drashna Jaelre

Not surprised. WIn7 drivers are NOT Windows Server drivers.

Though they avoid listing it in the "not supported" section, it most likely doesn't support the Intel I217-V drivers (Server 2012 and up don't, so WHS2011 wouldn't....)

Worst case, try this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24176

That should be the most up to date drivers. 

Worst case, you may be able to do this:

http://foxdeploy.com/2013/09/12/hacking-an-intel-network-card-to-work-on-server-2012-r2/

It says for Server 2012R2, but the principal should be the same.

bluecrush4x4

Hey Drashna,

Tried to load the 24176 driver with no luck. It went like it was going to work, then said " Cannot install drivers. No Intel® Adapters are present in this computer"

I also tried the resource disc again which said it installed all drivers but just ended up in the same place. I can only spend so much time messing around till

I get to frustrated. I will try your second worst case tomorrow. The bois says it is working? 

Thanks for the info!

Jon

bluecrush4x4

Was thinking I could chicken out. I could pick up and install network adapter card and 

disable the MOBO installed. Sucks! Just want stuff to work!!

Drashna Jaelre

Here is the download for Windows 8.1 x64 for that board.  These would be the same drivers as Server 2008/R2

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64

... Not really. The Windows 7 64-bit drivers would be the ones for Server 2008R2 (the base for WHS2011). 

Either way, it looks like it's the same version for the LAN drivers in either case.

There is also downloading the "LAN" driver pack from driverpacks.net and finding the correct intel driver (check the device ID) and editing that INF file. 

But I'd say that getting a different NIC and installing that would be the best option, IMO.

Just check it against the list in the Intel link to make sure it's compatible first:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18725

jmwills

My guess is he has a Realtek card and not an Intel, so I would try both as they were listed on the site.

GotNoTime

This board has an unusual feature. "Dampness kills most electronics, so it's a better idea to keep your personal computer dry. Now users may prevent motherboard damages due to dampness by enabling Dehumidifier. When it is enabled, the computer will power on automatically to dehumidify the system after entering S4/S5 state."

My guess is he has a Realtek card and not an Intel, so I would try both as they were listed on the site.

It says Intel LAN on the specs and only has downloads for Intel NICs as well. The Realtek chip is for audio.

jmwills

I would have sworn I saw a Realtek NIC driver on that link

Joe_Miner

Hey all,

I have recently had back surgery and thought it would be a good time to update my HS 2011. I had the HS 2008

and basically recycled the hardware, installed an ssd, and loaded HS 2011. So in the past few weeks I picked up

and new case, MOBO, (ASRocks Z97Pro4) power supply, i5-4690K chip, 8 gigs DDR3, and a new ssd. Figured 

I would spend the time and set it up the way I really wanted to.

Anyway, I'm a bit rusty and haven't loaded software in a while, but I can't seam to get it to take the drivers. I have the 

resource disc that came with the MOBO and have also downloaded it from mfg. web site. Most specifically it won't

let me install the lan / ethernet controller. I have slid in an optic drive and have installing from the original disc. I have

also tried putting drivers on a flash drive with no luck. I checked and a win7 64 bit driver should work, and I have seen

others use this MOBO for a 2011 build.

I have been sniffing around trying to figure out what I'm doing back a$$wards with no luck. Any input would be super!

Thanks!

Jon

My apologies for jumping into to this this late --  

The Z97Pro4 may have what Intel has referred to as an "desktop" network chip.  I discovered the same thing when I first got my Z77X-UD5H and it had a Intel 82579V chip http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4025-intel-82579v-nic-on-ga-z77x-ud5h-and-other-motherboards-with-server-oss/ 

in that case I found that Intel had entered code in the inf installation file that prevented desktop chips from picking up "Server" installations -- This may or may not be your issue but it does sound similar

Check the Intel NIC Chip -- for WHS2011 the Win7x64 drivers should work so check the inf for that installation and see of the Intel code jumpers out Server installations like what I found http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4025-intel-82579v-nic-on-ga-z77x-ud5h-and-other-motherboards-with-server-oss/ 

My apologies if this was something you've already looked at and discounted...............

Good luck