RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Memory increase esxi vm

djcla

I was wondering how to increase allocated memory on an esxi 6 guest. When I try it's greyed out is that due to using hardware version 11? . Anyway I had to create a new vm and attach the disk to resolve the issue. Surely this is not the best way?

Edited by djcla

I was wondering how to increase allocated memory on an esxi 6 guest. When I try it's greyed out due to using disk version 11 I believe. Anyway I had to create a new vm and attach the disk to resolve the issue. Surely this is not the best way?

You can't do it when the VM is running. Shut it down first. If the VM is already shutdown then it is a client bug.

The C# client lets you edit the existing 5.1 options. It just doesn't expose the new options from 5.5 and newer. You can still change the amount of RAM assigned.

Edited by GotNoTime

Is there a way to change the vm disk to thin provisioning from thick BTW?

For thick to thin, you need vCenter to do it from the GUI which means a paid license as it involves either cloning or a storage migration. If you're happy to use SSH then follow this guide. You don't need vCenter for that route. Make sure the VM is shutdown before attempting it.

Thin to thick however is easy and you can use the C# client. Find the VMDK in the datastore browser and right click it then select inflate.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 2

one option for the thick to thin is to use the p2v tool to regrab the vm this time as a thin client

• 2 weeks later...