RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Silicon Dust Users

mrossco

I've been toying with the idea of changing my Media Center setup. My setup is really now overkill for how I use it and want to switch to netop-like hardware. Unfortunately, though, this hardware does not have much room for PCI-E tuners, and I don't really want an octupus-like box with USB tuners dangling out the back.

For those of you that have them, how well do the Silicon Dust tuners work? Do they just plug into existing network? Can I use them like a pool and have any MCE PC in my home access them?

Any insight you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

I bought a Dual Tuner HD Homerun about 4 months ago and yes it just plugs in to your Switch, I am not home right now but I think it is 10/100. You load up software on your MCE PC and configure it to use with the tuner. In the software you can choose to disable either channel if you are not using it. I know I had 2 different PC's using it but I think I had it one configured to use seperate channels. Channel 1 Enabled and Channel 2 disbaled on PC1, and Vice verse on PC2. I don't know if you can leave both enabled on multple PC's. Hopefully someone else can fill us in. I only have 1 MCE PC running. When I had it configured on 2 boxes that was just while migrating my MCE to new hardware.

I am very happy with mine. Are you doing Cable or OTA? My Cable only has a half dozen channels in digital and it took me a while to get the guide configured for them correctly but after that it has been set it and forget it. I never log into the MCE PC, it is in the basement and I setup my recording thru the Xbox360.

I just ordered by HD HomeRun from Woot last week.

My plans are to run OTA to tuner 1 and Cable ClearQAM to Tuner 2.

Then have my Windows Media Center connect to both for recording.

I still need to purchase a Extender of some kind, looking into for the next purchase.

Very good, Yes, Yes, and 100.

I've stated somewhere either in a forum post, podcast, or blog article that this is the best tuner I've run across so far. It's nice to have the small form factor HTPC and not have USB tuners hanging off of it or a bunch of coax running behind it.

I'm a fringe user, meaning i'm very far away from any broadcast tower. These tuners have done a better job than any AVERMedia or Hauppauge tuner ever has for me.

Fantastic product. That's why I picked up a second one.

My wife and I are cheap. I spent some money installing a new antenna and coax through my house. We have 20+ OTA channels and a Netflix subscription; I have no plans to pay $100+/month for cable or satellite.

It sounds like you have to pre-assign channels (a.k.a. tuners?) to a given PC. Though each channel on a unit can be assigned to a different PC, am I understanding correctly that this has to be assigned ahead of time and is not something that is dynamic?

Guest no-control

I have it as well you can use it dynamically as long as long as you have enough tuners to support live demand. 2 PC's watching live TV require 2 tuners. But if you use it as just a recording port then basically you watch TV off a server stream and the tuners just record.

I also ordered the HD Homerun when it was on Woot. It comes any day now. Will post when I have more info.

I also ordered the HD Homerun when it was on Woot. It comes any day now. Will post when I have more info.

Love my hd home run, since i went to a small form factor Pc internal tuners are a no no, so i drop the money, and i must say i'm thinking about getting a second.