RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any reason why a 4TB Seagate drive - a ST4000DX001 - isn't seen under Win7?

BobCrabtree

I've been successfully using 4TB drives in the previous-generation HP microservers for a while but I can't get this Seagate drive to be visible in Win7 Pro 64-bit - whether it's already formatted or not. 

Also a bit odd (well, to an ignorant person like me), the installed hard disks (neither Raided) aren't visible in the Bios (as best as I can tell).

Comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Bob Crabtree

Edited by BobCrabtree

Welcome to the forums!

What other disks are in the system?

Do you have the B120i enabled or AHCI?

schoondoggy,

Thanks for the greeting (hello to you, too, from London) and even greater thanks for the near-instant response.

Sorry for my delay in responding - I've had clients in the office collecting PCs for a lot of the afternoon and it's also taken me a good while to compose this message.

To try to answer your questions, I've been trying to pass along the same pathway I did when setting up Windows and also, less successfully when I did manage to get the 4TB drive seen. And things aren't helped by boot up being so slow - relative to a conventional PC.  I'm also trying to avoid appearing even more ignorant about servers than I clearly am.

I'll answer your questions as best as I can in a moment (sort of) but allow me to digress, first, if you would. 

Sod's Law - as I'm certain you know - is all-embracing. And, of course, having put off posting here for days and days, I solved the 4TB problem 10 mins after I posted. Ho hum. 

I really should have posted earlier in the week, to enable me to have solved the problem sooner.

The way in which these Gen 8 MicroServers work is very different from the previous generation - and, not being a server person, just a PC person (Windows and Mac largely), this caught me out. 

At the outset I spent a good few hours trying and failing to setup the sole boot drive with Windows 7 (I nearly posted a plea for help back then but continued on a trial-and-error basis until I somehow struck lucky). And the same problem clearly was in play with the 4TB drive. 

Looking for excuses, I wasn't helped by the turgid, hard-to-digest (and assume-too-much-knowledge) manuals.

My stumbling block initially (and, in the end, my saviour, too) when trying to set up the boot drive - a 500GB Seagate - was  Intelligent Provisioning.  I'm still not sure I know for certain how I got Windows installed! And it's the same now, with the 4TB. 

I'm way out of my depth here, not knowing why such a vastly complex range of tools and options is offered, nor what any are them are for, except on a suck-it-and-see basis.

I gave a little smile a moment ago when I spotted this line in the HP user guide:

Intelligent Provisioning is a single-server deployment tool embedded in HP ProLiant Gen8 and later servers that simplifies HP ProLiant server setup, providing a reliable and consistent way to deploy HP ProLiant server configurations.

For server folk that might indeed be true, for the rest of humanity, it definitely ain't so (I reckon), especially if using a Gen 8 machine as a home media server under a non-server operating system, as I'm aiming to do.

As for your questions,  

Q What other disks are in the system? 

A None apart from the two mentioned here.

Q Do you have the B120i enabled or AHCI?

A As long as I'm not gone to be taken to court on this one, I think it must be AHCI but, honestly, it could readily be B120i. Why I think it must be AHCI is that I actually did get Win7 installed and running whereas I suspect that wouldn't have been the case with the B120i. However, B120i is what shows as the target controller in hardware settings (in the place where you choose OS install "in four easy steps").

Oh, and since I've still go two empty bays, I might just stick a drive in one so I can properly log the steps I go through to have it seen by Windows.

Cheers

Bob C

Edited by BobCrabtree

Your observations are accurate, the Gen8 is a real Proliant server and can be a bit painful.

You should use IP to make sure the BIOS and all Firmware are up to date.

If you do not want RAID and you are just going to use the four front bays for drives it would make sense to use AHCI, but if you want the fan noise to be quiet you may need to use the B120i. There are several threads on this forum discussing fan noise and storage controllers.

It sounds like you have the B120i enabled from what you have mentioned above. When you boot the system watch for the B120i to load, there should be a key to push to enter the B120i software, sorry I forgot which key it is. This will bring up the management software for the B120i. I am guessing you will see the Seagate 500GB configured as a RAID0 drive and you should see the 4TB as a un-configured drive. If this is all accurate you can configure the 4TB as a single drive RAID0. Exit the utility and finish booting. You will need to use disk management in Win 7 to partition the 4TB drive.

If you want to go the AHCI path here are the steps to change from the B120i:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0108661

In AHCI mode it should act more like a regular PC. 

Let us know how that works out.

schoondoggy,

Again, many thanks for your faster-than-lightning response.

Will changing from B120i to AHCI have any impact on the installed Win7 operating system (other than, presumably, requiring a reboot to install drivers afterwards)?

For what I want to use the HP for, what would you recommend, B120i or AHCI (naturally, I'm leaning towards AHCI for ease of use)?

As for the advice about setting up the 4TB drive - I'd actually formatted it before putting it into the HP and, though I know next to nothing about servers, I'm actually pretty good on PCs generally. At least, I seem to have managed to fool all of the people all of the time - so far. And I've got the testimonials to prove it ;-).

That said, if I'd come upon this thread and needed help in the round, your comment would definitely have been helpful. So, too, would that video link you put in a little while ago in another thread about Win 8.1, which would definitely have helped me in installing Win7. 

I definitely will have a fiddle with AHCI mode if it's not going to mean I have to reinstall Win7 (even, perhaps, if it does).

Oh, and just checked using Intelligent Provisioning and everything shown is up to date - rather worryingly, though, I'm being offered older versions of all the software - it would be all too easy to wrongly chose to install an older version!

Cheers

Bob C

Edited by BobCrabtree

From what you are saying AHCI would probably be the best.

The boot drive should survive the conversion from the B120i to AHCI, but you should back up any data you have on it.

Go into the BIOS and set the storage controller to AHCI, reboot and see what happens.

I would not use IP for Windows 7 as it is a non supported OS.

One other note on the forum, the search tool is not good. Best way to find data in the forum is to use Google and start your search with homeservershow.

Well, it seems as though I am already using AHCI - I followed your link on how to change and was offered the option to turn on B120i but with the warning that the OS would be killed by doing so (or something to that affect). And thanks for the tip about searching - that explains a lot!.

As for not using IP because Win7 is not supported - are there not things in IP that I must have access to?

I'm thinking about the sort of stuff that's highlighted in that video about Windows 8.

I think my next thing to try is booting from an SSD in the optical drive bay - I'll do a bit of googling about that first, though.

Cheers

Bob C