RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up/Imaging OS drive - how to?

Homer-S

Hello again,

after a longer time I have a new question.

I am running WS 2008R2 with HV on the first drive.

The VMs are stored on second drive.

In case of a HDD break down of the first drive I have to install it completely new. My idea would be to image it to an usb external drive.

Which software would do the job best? Is there a free one available?

Are there some ideas I do not consider at the moment?

Thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could go with built in (depending on volume size), and use the "Windows Server Backup" role.

I am not sure if the free version will do everything you need, but this works well:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Macrium Reflect is a really great piece of software, This is now what I use as a replacement for my retired WSE2012 "Bare Metal Restore" & before anyone goes on a rant I know my solution does not do "single instance backup" but I am OK with that because I have plenty of storage. The best part is unlike WSE2012/WHS2011 the restores work every time  :) The users data is backed up in real-time to my Synology NAS cluster using Synology Cloud Station.

Give Veeam Endpoint a go. It is free and although I haven't tried it on a server they say it will work on 2008. They also have a free Hyper-V backup so don't get the 2 confused and try them both. I am a big fan and it is as good as acronis if not better.  Very clean and simple GUI.

Give Veeam Endpoint a go. It is free and although I haven't tried it on a server they say it will work on 2008. They also have a free Hyper-V backup so don't get the 2 confused and try them both. I am a big fan and it is as good as acronis if not better.  Very clean and simple GUI.

Poppapete,

Just took a look at the Veeam website, I may have to give this a try :) Do you know if we can just backup the OS & Applications with Veeam for bare-metal-restore? I have the users data backed up in real-time using Synology Cloud-Station.

Edited by MrFixit

All my computers are UEFI and I have no problem. I have Cloudberry ( to backup to amazon cloud), Acronis as a backup backup to my 2012E server (if that makes sense).  I tried the beta of Veeam when it came out last January and have been using ever since. I keep the Acronis because I paid for it but find Veeam better and it is free. I always use it to restore any single files from yesterday, last week, last month as it is the easiest and quickest to use.