RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Asus P9D-I

HellDiverUK

Just picked up one of these boards, and was very surprised to discover the full KVM function is present on the board.  Normally you need to buy an add-on card for "iLO" on Asus Server boards, but the P9D-I has it built in.  It works really well, apart from perhaps using Java for the remote console, but that's pretty typical I believe.

Hopefully I'll have a few build pictures over the weekend.  Specs are going to be E3-1225v3, 16GB RAM, and booting off a single SSD.

Do you know what chip it is based on or is it something they developed?

It uses a Aspeed AST2300. I guess Asus have a modified/custom version of the AST2300 firmware.

I saw that they referenced the Aspeed for video. It does look like their interface is different than Aspeed.

Nice to have another option for remote access.

Interface is similar to the one on AsRock Rack servers, by American Megatrends, and the chip is indeed the AST2300.  It identifies itself as "Megarac SP".

Interestingly, you can disable the BMC totally with a jumper, leaving the AST doing only VGA.  The BMC bridges on to the LAN1 i210AT, and doesn't use it's own LAN connection.  I think that's a nice feature.

Power consumption on the board is very good, the BMC seems to use a lot less power than I've seen from other BMC boards - only uses 2.2W in standby, less than half a G8 with iLO4.  

I've got a dose of cold and a stomach bug, so I'll probably not do anything with the machine this weekend unless I pick up greatly.

Edited by HellDiverUK
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was confused because the documentation seemed to say you needed the ASMB7 board, as per all the other P9D range.  When I opened the box of the P9D-I there was the manual and discs for the ASMB7, as well as little licence sticker (like the old gold AMI BIOS labels on 486 boards).

It's a nice feature, I really like it.  It seems more stable and quicker than iLO4.  I've used it a few times already from bed, I'm pretty much stuck here.  Nice being able to tinker from the comfort of my sick-bed without having to get up to go power cycle or venture in to the BIOS. :) Even the missus is down with the same bug, so can't even get her to go reboot stuff without getting a slap round the ear.  :P

Just picked up one of these boards, and was very surprised to discover the full KVM function is present on the board.  Normally you need to buy an add-on card for "iLO" on Asus Server boards, but the P9D-I has it built in.  It works really well, apart from perhaps using Java for the remote console, but that's pretty typical I believe.

Hopefully I'll have a few build pictures over the weekend.  Specs are going to be E3-1225v3, 16GB RAM, and booting off a single SSD.

What made you try the board again?

Got the impression you didn't get on with it last time: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9071-asus-asrock-rack-motherboards/?p=98096

What made you try the board again?

Got the impression you didn't get on with it last time: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9071-asus-asrock-rack-motherboards/?p=98096

I was sick and bored, mostly.   :wacko:

The first board P9D-I I had must have had something wrong with it, because I'm really quite pleased with this one.  No problems to report with it at all.  I just wish it had another SATA or mSATA or M.2 or something on it, then I wouldn't need to run an extra HBA to get a SSD OS drive and 4 bays populated.

• Like 1

I was sick and bored, mostly. :wacko:

The first board P9D-I I had must have had something wrong with it, because I'm really quite pleased with this one. No problems to report with it at all. I just wish it had another SATA or mSATA or M.2 or something on it, then I wouldn't need to run an extra HBA to get a SSD OS drive and 4 bays populated.

Yep, I know that feeling...

Got man flu myself and just trying to fight the urge to import a E3-1230LV3 to replace my non LV version as its running hotter than I would like...

A new bigger heat sink isn't nearly as sexy as a new cpu :o

Edited by snapper