RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joshua Lee

enthusiast video cards that would fit in Lenovo TS140

Joshua Lee

I read this on an Amazon review of the TS140: 

"It has a single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot at the top of the motherboard and a second PCIe 3.0 8x slot further down. The board will accommodate a sizable Graphics GPU BUT you will likely have to unplug the front USB 3.0 ports as their connection to the motherboard will block insertion of a long card. Also, the card cannot have any additional thickness above the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot as a long card will touch the hold downs for the memory (insert any memory and then your graphics card)"

I'm planning to increase the power supply to an appropriate one, and have bought an adapter so it will work with Lenovo's proprietary connector. I also am well prepared for disconnecting my front USB ports because I have a powered USB 3.0 hub.

I am wondering what kind of cards have the above thickness problem though... could you tell me what such a card looks like, and maybe their dimensions, so I can avoid them? Or failing that, if you've installed a powerful GPU successfully, let me know which one you did. I'm in the market for something like a GTX 960, or GTX 970 - or the equivalent AMD cards, like a 280 or 280x. (Or a refurbished AMD HD 7950 from gpushack.com.) I'm currently using a GTX 750ti, which works great, and needs no modifications to the power supply or front panel, but am running into problems with newer titles.

HellDiverUK

Anything that has any sort of cover over the back of the PCB is likely to be a tight fit.  

There's also the "small"  cards like the Asus GTX760 Mini which are designed for miniITX machines, they'll fit in and you'll be able to keep your front ports.  Also quite a bit faster than the 750Ti you have.

Edited by HellDiverUK

Joshua Lee

Anything that has any sort of cover over the back of the PCB is likely to be a tight fit.  

There's also the "small"  cards like the Asus GTX760 Mini which are designed for miniITX machines, they'll fit in and you'll be able to keep your front ports.  Also quite a bit faster than the 750Ti you have.

So it's stuff with a back cover that's the problem, not the cooler on the "front" making the card thicker?

I'd not mind getting a miniITX machine-designed 960, but want a bit more future-proofness in my video card than that, something with more RAM (there are GTX 960s with more RAM, but they don't really have the bandwidth to handle it as much as the equivalent AMD card or a Nvidia GTX 970. There is a GTX 970 that's miniITX compatible, but it's not widely recommended by reviewers.

I'm seeing now that although this is a great, cheap, and expandable system, I may have been better off building my own for gaming. Too late now. At least it's better at that than my previous desktop, a Gateway core2quad with a proprietary-sized and connected 130 watt power supply! Thanks for whatever help you can give though at making this into a bit of a frankenstinian gaming system. :)

HellDiverUK

Yes, it's the back, because PCI-E cards are upside down - the coolers etc are on the front.  I don't think it's a massive issue, some gaming boards have the same issue with RAM being close to the top PCI-E.  If you're careful you can usually get the card plugged in OK.