RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
nleistad

Getting Windows Ready...

nleistad

A friend brought me her Asus Transformer running Windows 8.? System had applied updates, on reboot, gives (apologies for vagueness) an error applying 7904 of 72682. Much waiting, never moved on.

Multiple restarts got similar message on differing initial number... Finally got it to roll-back. Since rollback, it's displayed "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer" for 19 hours. Attempts to turn it off only bring back same screen. Attempts to turn off include holding power button for up to 20 seconds....

Tried to get back to UEFI screen, but no joy.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Will Windows be ready sometime today? Ever? Swirling dots not really an indication of progress.

I know that many people REALLY LIKE Windows 8, to my mind, it's part of that flawed genetics family of Windows ME, Vista ....

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. It shouldn't BE THIS HARD.....

schoondoggy

Have you tried a factory reset?

nleistad

That's the issue. Can't power off the system to get to a UEFI screen to initiate... Hold power button, system off. Restart, "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer"

schoondoggy

holding down the volume up and power buttons, should bring you to the recovery mode. You may need to hold them down for a while.

schoondoggy

Any luck?

nleistad

Repeated attempts at starting and holding volume and power only returned systems to "Getting Windows ready, Don't turn off your computer". So, I've pulled power and waited. Power off seems to only initiate a sleep or hibernate, attempting to get to "cold start" and hoping to access recovery when working from there. Unit has run for 2 days on battery alone; when it gets low, seems like the system shuts down as a defensive measure. Hoping a weekend is long enough to run down... Trying again today.

Thanks for the advice and follow-up.

nleistad

So, finally ran battery dead, nothing from power button w/o ac adapter. Tried power on + volume up: nope. Tried power on + shift (? saw that somewhere on some machine): nope. Tried Power on + repeated F8: nope. Google-foo failing as ASUS transformer system recovery (various forms and orders) just not working. Doesn't this thing have a clearly defined "nerve pinch" for starting to Recovery screen?

Thanks.

jmwills

Pull the battery.

nleistad

Found it... F9 seemed to work. Since my friend had no idea what BitLocker recovery key was, it's getting a refresh that may or may not save data. Don't care at this point, just need it off my desk.

Thanks for all the help and input. I'll leave a final comment once it's running, updated, and headed back to it's home.

nleistad

I got really good at this. F9 on boot was the trick, thought I'd get to practice a second time thru as once the system came up, it was working fine. On restart, it had 119 updates to apply, worked thru those going down, then failed on 112 coming back up on the "start" side. Started to roll those back and it took a LOOOONNNNGGG time, but succeeded.

Thought it best at that point just to get it back to her and wash my hands. I haven't heard back for a couple of days, so maybe it resolved itself once she got it home or it attempted the updates additional times. A problem I'd prefer to leave to ASUS and Microsoft.

It's a bit of a shame as we were considering the Transformer for field techs where I work, but if it's going to be this kind of issue, maybe we'll just stick w/ the old laptops we've got until they drop dead.

Thanks for the help.