RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi Install Not Working

Toothy

Hi,

This is driving me nuts.  Tying to install ESXi 5.1 U2 (HP Modified) but running into issues.  Installing from USB and get most of the way through loading the install files and then get a PSOD - showing errors such as:

'PCPU Locked up.  Failed to ack TLB invalidate (total of 1 locked up, PCPU's :0)

and

'No place on disk to dump data'

I am trying to install to onboard USB drive with SDD for datastore but not even getting that far.

Also, where can you see if the SDD is being picked up correctly.  I can get into the ACU but it doesn't show in there, but if I try to install an OS from intelligent provisioning it shows as a source for the install files.

Thanks,

D

The error means one of the CPU cores didn't respond to the ESXi kernel quickly enough. It could be a hardware or software issue but in this particular case, I suspect it is due to the high memory pressure since you're intentionally bypassing the memory check so it will install with 2GB RAM. You downgraded from 5.1U3 to 5.1U2 as well.

You need to do this properly and install more RAM as mentioned in your other thread.

5.1U3 release notes

ESXi host might fail with a purple diagnostic screen stating that a PCPU did not receive heartbeat

An ESXi host might fail with a purple diagnostic screen stating that a PCPU did not receive heartbeat. A backtrace similar to the following is displayed:

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)Code start: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn VMK uptime: 98:23:15:54.570

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)Saved backtrace from: pcpu 6 Heartbeat

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]SP_WaitLockIRQ@vmkernel#nover+0xnnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]LPage_ReapPools@vmkernel#nover+0xnnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]MemDistributeNUMAPolicy@vmkernel#nover+0xnnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x41802644483a]MemDistributeAllocateAndTestPages@vmkernel#nover+0xnnn stack: 0xnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x418026444d63]MemDistributeAllocAndTestPagesLegacy@vmkernel#nover+0xaa stack: 0xnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn]MemDistribute_AllocUserWorldPages@vmkernel#nover+0xnn stack: 0xnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]UserMemAllocPageInt@vmkernel#nover+0xnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]UserMem_HandleMapFault@vmkernel#nover+0xnnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]User_Exception@vmkernel#nover+0xnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]Int14_PF@vmkernel#nover+0xnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn:[0x]gate_entry@vmkernel#nover+0xnn stack: 0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.uuZ cpu14:4110)base fs=0x0 gs=0xnnnnnnnnnnnnn Kgs=0x0

This issue occurs when the ESXi host experiences a memory overload due to a burst of memory allocation requests.

This issue is resolved in this release by optimizing the memory allocation path when a large page (lpage) memory pool is utilized.

Edited by GotNoTime

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately buget constraints meant I coul dnot upgrage the RAM - its something for the future.  Anyway, managed to get round the issues by using v5.0.0 u3 and then using the workaround to get past the 2GB limitation.

Now, just need to work out why my SSD isn't being seen.

Thanks,

D

Now, just need to work out why my SSD isn't being seen.

It isn't seen at all by the Smart Storage Administrator tool in the firmware or do you mean you can't see it in ESXi? How have you connected it?

Hi,

It isn't seen in the Smart Storage Administrator tool.  I have connected it to the ODD connection on the MB, powered using a Y splitter.

I couldn't see anywhere in the BIOS that gave info about the disk connected - did I miss something?

Thanks,

D

It isn't seen in the Smart Storage Administrator tool.  I have connected it to the ODD connection on the MB, powered using a Y splitter.

Odd. You can definitely see it in IP? It isn't a USB stick or something like that?

There isn't anything special you need to do for the ODD port. Is the SATA controller in B120i mode, AHCI mode or legacy mode?

I couldn't see anywhere in the BIOS that gave info about the disk connected - did I miss something?

You don't see anything in the BIOS for the drives. SSA should see it though.

Oh, my mistake, it isn't being picked up by IP.  Hmm, maybe my power cable isn't working, pretty sure the data cable is OK.

Thanks,

D

Not USB, it is an SSD.

I wasn't very clear. I mean is the device you're seeing in IP the SSD? It isn't a iLO virtual media device or USB stick?

Oh, my mistake, it isn't being picked up by IP.  Hmm, maybe my power cable isn't working, pretty sure the data cable is OK.

I suspect the cables as well. You can't disable the ODD port so there isn't any setting in the BIOS or SSA that would affect it.

Check that your splitter plugs are okay. I've seen dubious crimping on some of them before where it doesn't make good contact.

If you want to, you can swap out the molex splitter and power it from the floppy power cable that is intended for the ODD. If you're in the US then you can pick up a Dell MX714 adapter for not much from eBay. If you're in the UK then Maplin do a similar adapter for not much.