RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi Install & 2GB RAM

Toothy

Hi,

I am trying to install esxi on my microserver that currently has 2GB ram installed.  I am trying to follow these instructions http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2147 but I cannot get it working.  I do not get to the ESXi welcome screen, I get the installer loading and then get a purple screen with the error 'Could not load multiboot modules: Admission check failed for memory resource'.

I am using the HP modified 5.1.0 update 3 version.

Thanks,

D

While the minimum amount of RAM to install is 2 gigs, you won't be able to do anything much at all.  Most of the time when the installer fails it is because of an incompatible NIC card.  Is yours on the compatible list?

Yes, 2 GIGS for v5.1.  Any attempt to shortcut the install with workarounds is just going to leave you frustrated.

Hi,

OK, yes, I get further with the 5.1 install but now I am getting an error stating that there is no palce to dump data?

Thanks,

D

I installed 5.5 with 2gb ram, had to modify the file at time of install for memory parameter..

But once installed...I was not able to do much, as not enough ram...

Hi,

Thanks for this.  In the end I went with v5.0 Update 3 with the 2GB RAM, was pretty much the only version I could get working.  I plan to add more RAM in the future, couldn't stretch the finances at the moment.  It works fine, got Xpenology running on it and happy with it.  If only I could sort out the issue with DSM not picking up external HDD's then I would be very happy.

Cheers,

D