RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

enabling port teaming (link aggregation) on Gen8 Microserver

gjbth

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and indeed the Gen8 Microserver.

I have just bought the entry level Microserver with Celeron processor and 10gb of memory.  I am just now trying to set it up as a dedicated media server, with Windows 8.1 installed on a 120gb Samsung evo ssd in the ODD bay

I have Windows 8.1 installed simply because I had a spare licence  available.

I have searched everywhere for information on setting up port teaming for the two built in lan ports, and cannot find any info at all. I have checked through the bios and also using iLo.

I have two Netgear GS24t smart switches, one a version 3 and the other a version 4, both are capable of link aggregation.

Can anyone give me any pointers how to achieve this. at the moment the Gen8 has one lan port running at gigabit Ethernet the other at fast ethernet

Thanks in advance for any help

You can't do NIC teaming on Windows 8 with arbitrary NICs. Microsoft don't support it and have permanently disabled it. You need Windows Server to do it. The early preview versions of Windows 8 still had it enabled which is why you can still find old articles saying it is possible.

The only way to get NIC teaming on Windows 8 is to use a NIC that does it in the driver like the Intel cards.

Thank you for the information, I have several Netgear Readynas devices and Link aggregation is set up within the Readynas OS, all works well using the GS724 and Windows 8.1, with a noticeable increase in file transfer speed. For some reason I assumed the Microserver would have had similar set up.

At the moment I have both Microserver lan ports connected to a GS724 and it reports that port 2 is operating at gigabit speed, while port 1 only operates at 100Mbps. How would I achieve gigabit speed on both ports.

For some reason I assumed the Microserver would have had similar set up.

The G8 Microserver is capable of doing it. It is Windows 8 that is stopping you since Microsoft only want you to do this with the server editions.

At the moment I have both Microserver lan ports connected to a GS724 and it reports that port 2 is operating at gigabit speed, while port 1 only operates at 100Mbps. How would I achieve gigabit speed on both ports.

There is something wrong with your port or the cable if so. There isn't anything special you need to do for gigabit speeds. It should default to autonegotiation.

Thank you again, I'm a little embarrassed now, I should have double checked the cables, I made up these two cables myself and neglected to test them before use.

Just made time to check the cables. I had quickly made up two cables to 568B standard and did not bother to check them, sure enough on one of the RJ45's I had pins 5 & 6 reversed, hence no gigabit.

• 1 year later...