RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

desktop vs. laptop CPUs (Intel NUC)

kylejwx

I was recently considering an Intel NUC as my next desktop. Since I have been running Pentium desktop proccesors for the past 4 years I assumed that an i3 or i5 broadwell NUC would do the job even though it is a laptop part.

However, looking at this review, the Pentium G3258 that I have seems to be very close to the Broadwell core i5.

http://techreport.com/review/27798/intel-broadwell-powered-nuc-mini-pc-reviewed/3

Thoughts or comments? Should I not be expecting as much out of a laptop CPU?

If you're not gaming, then the NUC runs just fine for general desktop use.  I don't see any real difference between my overclocked i5-4690K to my laptop's i5-4200U (which is very similar to the CPU in the NUC) when just using the desktop, or viewing YouTube videos, etc.

What's the goal for the new machine?  Small size?  Power efficiency?  Silence?

If you can manage with a bit more physical size, why not consider one of the Bay Trail Celerons (J1900 or the likes), they're passively cooled, fast, power efficient.  A miniITX board in a small case might do your job?

Edited by HellDiverUK

The N2820 isn't in the same class as the J1900.  I have a DN2820 NUC, it works well as a HTPC, but I wouldn't run it as a desktop.  Single channel RAM, slow GPU makes it a bit slower.  It's a bit like a slow Core2Duo machine really, runs very like the old Dell machines at work which has an E6550 and chipset video.