RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Xenserver

djcla

Has anyone tried this on the gen8 microserver? Was reading there is an issue with not seeing the raid controller card?

What schoondoggy said. The B120i needs a custom closed source kernel module and HP don't release one for the Xen dom0 kernel. The hpvsa module is specific to a kernel version together with its patches and you can't insert it into another kernel.

In theory you can set the B120i into AHCI mode and then unofficially setup Xenserver to use Linux md software RAID but you should only do this if you know precisely what you're doing and it should only be for testing purposes. Upgrades will become much more complicated and there is a risk of data loss if anything goes wrong. Using it in a production environment is an extremely bad idea.

If I get esxi working does that mean that Ubuntu will work OK as a guest as I see Ubuntu has same driver issue?

If I get esxi working does that mean that Ubuntu will work OK as a guest as I see Ubuntu has same driver issue?

Anything inside a VM won't see or care about the underlying hardware. It just sees the virtual hardware provided by the hypervisor. Ubuntu or any other hypervisor supported OS will be fine.

The latest ESXi hpvsa driver for the B120i has performance issues. You must downgrade it.

Edited by GotNoTime

So my only real options are VMware or MS Hyper V server? I did like the idea of a completely free option with a nice web gui to manage the guests as the server is headless but I guess VMware via ilo console is my best bet.as it has a small footprint.

Edited by djcla

So my only real options are VMware or MS Hyper V server?

You can use KVM virtualization with RHEL/CentOS as well.

I did like the idea of a completely free option with a nice web gui to manage the guests as the server is headless

You can use the free version of vSphere or Hyper-V. You don't need any of the fancy paid management features since you've only got a single host anyway.

but I guess VMware via ilo console is my best bet.as it has a small footprint.

You'd only use iLO or the real VGA output for installation. The rest of the time you'd use the C# based vSphere client for vSphere or RDP for Hyper-V. Note that the C# vSphere client only runs under Windows and you can't use third party clients with the free version of vSphere. The vSphere Web Client isn't available for the free version either. Edited by GotNoTime

OK, is that a separate download to the hp vsphere 6 build?

There is a link on the webserver that runs once you've got vSphere installed. The webserver running on the host is pretty useless except for giving you access to the datastore and some debugging objects if you've enabled that option.

http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/VMware-viclient-all-6.0.0.exeis the vSphere 6.0 C# client anyway.

Edited by GotNoTime