RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win2012 Standard problems when installing

scam3r

When trying to install using ilo provisioning, I get the following error message when trying to install window2012 server standard

"Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms.  Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation"

This happens upon the reboot, and this is the first prompt i get....

Help!

Screenshot from 2015-05-04 21:34:49.png

All of the mentions of this error online are for when you're trying to install inside a VM and there is insufficient memory allocated. I assume you're doing a bare metal install since you mention IP?

Yes its a bare metal install.  The ISO was downloaded from MS.

It's not that i am short of memory, it has 16GB.

I have used the ISO in Virtualbox, and esxi and no problems and other computers...  

Just doesn't work on a bare metal Microserver, might try it without IP

Yes it's the latest and greatest.... on both my Gen8's,

The one that has the issue has the following hardware

Gen8 Xeon E3-1265LV2, P222/512FBWC, KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G, 2*3TB_Reds Raid0, 850Pro_256SSD ODD

ESXI 5.5 worked ok, but i ditched because I would have had to run Vcenter to use both network interfaces...

the other is running Xpenology without any issues.

ESXI 5.5 worked ok, but i ditched because I would have had to run Vcenter to use both network interfaces...

Huh? You don't need vCenter for that. You can configure it to use both NICs using the C# vSphere client.

It might be better for you to just skip using IP. Download the necessary drivers and install them manually. You'll need to make a USB stick or floppy image with the B120i driver for installation.

Well did a normal install from DVD, with the B120i driver, and it worked.  Updated the server with Smart Update.  So very happy with it now....

But i would like to know more about getting the second LAN adapter working with ESXi using C# vSphere client.   Where is a good place to start learning?

But i would like to know more about getting the second LAN adapter working with ESXi using C# vSphere client.   Where is a good place to start learning?

You just add the other network adapter to your vSwitch and set it to be active in the NIC teaming tab in properties.

You just add the other network adapter to your vSwitch and set it to be active in the NIC teaming tab in properties.

But I want to load-balance across the two interfaces using LACP, and this only does hot standby?  IIRC you need something called a distributed switch, and you can only create this with vCenter.

If there is another way, I would be interested.

But I want to load-balance across the two interfaces using LACP, and this only does hot standby?  IIRC you need something called a distributed switch, and you can only create this with vCenter.

The default configuration just does active/standby but you can set the other NIC to be active as well so it does load balancing. You can do this all via the C# vSphere client.

Distributed switches is a licensed feature and not what you're thinking of. They're used so you can manage your virtual switches across your entire cluster/datacenter from a single point. All of your hosts will connect to the distributed switch instead of each one having its own vSwitch. This means migrations are easier to manage etc...

Read this KB article for more information about NIC teaming and what algorithm to use.

BFzBCok.png

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1