RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Red Health Bar - a plea for help

MacKirby

Evening everyone,

I've been admiring all the threads on here with regards to the Gen8 for a while, and it inspired me to pick one up the day before the cashback deal ended (I opted for a G1610T model, plan to upgrade it to a Xeon soon enough).  I only managed to get it out of the box today, and following some tutorial videos on YouTube from HSS forum users, decided Windows Server 2012 R2 was the way to go.

Everything was going fine - iLO was no hassle, drives recognised immediately, found and began loading the ISO via a virtual drive with no problem - until it was finished "Loading files".

It was stuck on a black screen, no activity at all.  I turned to look at it and the Health Bar was flashing Red, which I eventually found out was a power fault.  I gave it 10 minutes but after no luck, turned it off, and tried flushing it of power before turning it back on - Health bar goes blue for all of 3 seconds before flashing red again.

I've raised a ticket with HP, but I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on something I could try myself?  Information on issues with the Gen8 are scarce to say the least.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by MacKirby

Welcome to HSS!

Did you update BIOS and Firmware?

What drives do you have and how are they configured? 

Yep, it was the first thing I did after hearing all of the issues caused by running things stock.

A WD 1TB Red configured on its own as one drive, and 2 old 80GB HDDs in raid 0. I've tried booting with and without them in, it makes no difference unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, HP are sending me a new motherboard (should be here by Wednesday) so we'll see if that's the issue after all.

They expect you to swap it out yourself?

The motherboard is a customer self repair part i.e. they'll ship you a replacement kit. Unless MacKirby has a Care Pack, the base warranty for the G8 Microserver is 1 year parts only anyway.

It isn't difficult to swap out the motherboard as you just disconnect the various cables and slide the entire tray out. The service manual shows you the exact steps necessary.

Edited by GotNoTime

The motherboard is a customer self repair part i.e. they'll ship you a replacement kit. Unless MacKirby has a Care Pack, the base warranty for the G8 Microserver is 1 year parts only anyway.

It isn't difficult to swap out the motherboard as you just disconnect the various cables and slide the entire tray out. The service manual shows you the exact steps necessary.

Yeah, no Care Pack here.  I've built plenty of PCs, I doubt a motherboard in this thing will confuse me, especially given there's instructions.

Hopefully this'll solve the issue - kinda bummed that it died so quickly :/

Does the iLO web interface still work? What does it think of the server in there?

Yeah, no Care Pack here.  I've built plenty of PCs, I doubt a motherboard in this thing will confuse me, especially given there's instructions.

Proliant support is pretty good even with the basic 1 year parts only warranty. They'll ship you the replacement part + any other necessary bits to swap out. Some parts they don't want back but some they do. You just put the old part into the box and book a collection. Its all covered by HP.

Does the iLO web interface still work? What does it think of the server in there?

Proliant support is pretty good even with the basic 1 year parts only warranty. They'll ship you the replacement part + any other necessary bits to swap out. Some parts they don't want back but some they do. You just put the old part into the box and book a collection. Its all covered by HP.

I've got it lying unplugged for now, but I imagine iLO wouldn't say anything if there's a power fault like I suspect. Once the replacement board is here I'll let you all know what's what.

That's great to hear about the parts, I've been floored by how good HP have been so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk