RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Videos not showing in media library

CraigR

I have a problem with my server software. I am a n00b at home servers but I just put one together and installed 2012 Essentials and I think I have it set up for the most part except when I log in local or via the web and click on videos under the media library it goes to the page but nothing loads the circle loading thing just spins forever. I have tried rebooting but get the same issue. I have about 760 videos in there. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

MP4, AVI, MKV but it's not that they don't play it's that it does not even show what ones I have.

If you're using the built in media streamer for Server 2012 Essentials, it may only show the files that it CAN play. Eg, the codecs that the file actually uses.

The built in streamer has a VERY short list of codecs it supports....

Though, if that's not the case, you may need to rebuild the Windows Search database (or start it back up if you disabled it).

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7200705B

Otherwise, you may want to try something like Plex, Emby or Subsonic for video instead.

So if the video does not have the right codec then it won't let the list populate of what videos I even have? I thought it was what device was playing the video that needed the codec.

For most other media server's that true.

However, the web is using streaming, which means transcoding to downsample the video if needed. And that means codecs are required.

And since Microsoft only supports "official codecs".....

If this sounds stupid, let me  tell you, it's been a huge issue with Microsoft for a long while. :(

My server holds all those same formats and I have no issues with playing them. Most of the time if you install VLC media player, it has all the codecs you need.

Like I mentioned, I can't even get a list of what video's I have let alone play one. I found a copy of WHS 2011 I'm installing on another hard drive to see if that is any better.