RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

Problems with Win10 VM

jsox

I set up a Win10 VM on my QNAP TS453-pro and it started up just fine (4 cores, 2G RAM).

But. It will not update past Build 9926.

So I can't load Spartan. Bummer. I switched to the "fast ring" and still it does not work.

I've tried a couple of times and failed.

Also, the screen display seems off.

Like it thinks there is more display at the bottom than there really is.

Also, OneDrive does not show everything that is in my OneDrive.

Anybody else try this?

jsox

Downloading an x64 Build 10074 ISO and I'll try a fresh install and see if that works...

Nope, neither the x64 or the x86 will install. Alas.

cskenney

I haven't tried a Win10 VM.  I have a Linux VM I am trying to use with MythTV to see if I can get Kobi to control a PVR.

HellDiverUK

The older Win10 versions don't update any more, they've expired.  Only the latest ISO download still updates, and only will do until October, so expect to have to reinstall before then again.

• Like 1

jsox

I tried several things, such as using only one core, and could never get the QNAP to successfully upgrade past 9926. My Virtualization Station is up to date, I checked that. It may be too late now to get a free Win10  as a virtual machine, but if anyone has gotten this to work I'd be interested...

GotNoTime

It may be too late now to get a free Win10  as a virtual machine, but if anyone has gotten this to work I'd be interested...

You don't get a free copy of Windows 10 for being part of the Windows Insider program. What you do get is continued access to the time limited beta test versions of Windows. If you want to use the retail Windows 10 OS then you need to either type in a Windows 10 key or previously upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1. The upgrade method doesn't give you a Windows 10 key though. It uses a hardware ID hash to uniquely identify your PC to the activation servers for when you reinstall. You never type in a key during reinstallation and if you extract the key from the registry, you'll find out that all upgrade versions of that edition share the same key.

If you updated from the preview to the release version then the prompts went away but your preview key is blocked on the activation server. It'll work until it requests authentication again at which point it'll fail. You can't reinstall with it either.

Edited by GotNoTime

awraynor

Ugh. I had Win8 on my notebook on a spinner HD and it was miserable. It's an earlier Win8 touchscreen machine.

I bought an SSD and put Win10 TechPreview on fresh from the get go. I would have to disassemble the notebook again to

run the spinner to upgrade to 10. Of course it's a bigger spinner than the SSD and that presents it's own set of 

problems trying to do a restore from the server. I guess I could just delete all the data and shrink the partition down

to a manageable size, but that sounds like a lot of work.

jsox

"You don't get a free copy"

Are you sure? I think I did. After having trouble upgrading the virtual W10 on QNAP, several months ago I took a virgin home-built PC and installed W10 Pro from a preview ISO onto a blank HDD. I ran it regularly throughout the beta and it has what looks to me like a fully licensed copy of W10 Pro on it now.

Settings > Update & Security > Activation screen reports "Version Windows 10 Pro" and "Activation Windows is activated"

GotNoTime

"You don't get a free copy"

Are you sure? I think I did. After having trouble upgrading the virtual W10 on QNAP, several months ago I took a virgin home-built PC and installed W10 Pro from a preview ISO onto a blank HDD. I ran it regularly throughout the beta and it has what looks to me like a fully licensed copy of W10 Pro on it now.

Settings > Update & Security > Activation screen reports "Version Windows 10 Pro" and "Activation Windows is activated"

The preview key you used is blocked on the activation server now so if you ever need to reactivate for any reason then it'll fail. Your hardware fingerprint isn't registered either so you can't use the reinstall method that the retail 7/8.1 upgrade licenses get.

Microsoft say your install even though it appears to be the RTM version will eventually expire.