RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External Enclosure for p222

samuk

Hi,

Now that my p222 raid is online using the external disks - I need to expand as I need more space.

Can I use the external p222 port to connect a external data enclosure with drives / raid 5 setup?

What are the cheap enclosure options?

Thanks

Both of those are intended to be put inside a PC case. If you want it standalone then you'll need to get a case, PSU, rig the PSU to power up without a motherboard and also fit those drive bays. You'll also need to work out how exactly you're going to connect the SFF-8088 socket on the back of the P222 card to your new enclosure. Note that this is not the same as the internal socket which is a SFF-8087.

You don't want eSATA either as multi-bay eSATA enclosures will use port multipliers which isn't correct for SAS controllers.

Edited by GotNoTime

Considering the high cost of a 4 bay SAS enclosure, it'd be a better deal to buy another G8 Microserver with rebate and then get a External SFF-8088 to internal SFF-8087 backplate. It'd be larger though. Edited by GotNoTime

I already have one of those connectors on the back of my p222..

No. I don't mean that. I mean getting a new G8 Microserver just to hold 4 HDs then fitting that backplate to the PCIe slot so your original Microserver can access the new drives. It would be cheaper than buying a 4 drive SAS enclosure since the G8 Microserver after rebate is less than 50% the cost.

that route might be cheaper finding an older g7 hmm new project for this weekend