RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP H240(726907-B21) Smart Host Adapter in a Gen 8

lylej

Howdy folks, I've searched the forums for any related info on this card and I've had no success.

I'm shopping around for a cost effective raid solution, specifically something that offers RAID 5. I have been researching the P222 but it's out of my price range. The P212 is cheaper but does not support RAID 5. 

I have a G8 with 4 X 3tb disks and 4 additional 2.5" disks connected to it.

I came across the adapter above on a local site in my country and I wanted to know if anyone had any advice/experience with this card?

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-host-bus-adapters/product-detail.html?oid=6995464#!tab=features 

Any particular Cons regarding the above card?

This alternative is to get an HP H222 (650926-B21) Host Bus Adapter and simply use a software raid to give me RAID 5? Any down side to this solution? What kinda rebuild time am I looking at should a drive fail?

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/hp-h222-host-bus-adapter 

Both of these cards are seen in Intelligent Provisioning by the Storage Administrator, as per HP specs. 

I'd also appreciate very much if anyone can, very simply, point of the significance of the on board-cache, specifically as it relates to rebuild time etc. All I know that it provides write protection in the event of power-loss, and that may be wrong but it's wanted I've been able to gather thus far. 

Any guidance is much appreciated. 

Regards, 
Lyle

Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, in order to get 6gb/s speeds the P212 needs a minimum of 512mb memory?

Also, whats the significance of the PCI-E 2.0 / 3.0? if this refers to BUS speed then in the case of the P212, that means that even with RAM it can't go faster than 3gbs?

Edited by lylej

Also, whats the significance of the PCI-E 2.0 / 3.0? if this refers to BUS speed then in the case of the P212, that means that even with RAM it can't go faster than 3gbs?

The P212 is a PCIe 2.0 x8 card which means the maximum speed you can talk to the card is 4GB/s. If you had all 8 ports on the P212 connected to SAS SSDs all of which could do sustained 6 Gbps transfers then you'd be bottlenecked since 8x 6Gb/s is 4.8GB/s. That is unlikely to happen though and I expect the card itself not to be capable of that anyway. It isn't something you need to worry about.

One thing that may make a difference is that the P212 doesn't support SATA-III 6Gb/s so you're limited to 3Gbps SATA-II 3Gb/s. It won't make any difference for SATA HDs but you will be bottlenecked if you're using SATA SSDs which do regularly exceed 3Gb/s.

Server Interface: x8 5G PCIe 2.0 provides 4GB/s maximum bandwidth.
SAS Speed: x8 6G SAS provides 4.8GB/s maximum bandwidth
    v1.x (2.5 GT/s):
        250 MB/s (×1)
        4 GB/s (×16)
    v2.x (5 GT/s):
        500 MB/s (×1)
        8 GB/s (×16)
    v3.0 (8 GT/s):
        985 MB/s (×1)
        15.75 GB/s (×16)
    v4.0 (16 GT/s):
        1969 MB/s (×1)
        31.51 GB/s (×16)
Edited by GotNoTime

The memory has nothing to do with drive speeds. The P212 runs SAS drives at 6Gb/s and SATA drives at 3Gb/s. The P222 runs all drives at 6Gb/s.

PCI-e specs like 2.0 and 3.0 deal with the speed of the bus. If a card is designed for PCI-E 3.0 you would want to put it in a slot capable of PCI-E 3.0. This has nothing to do with drive speed.

The P212 is a x8 5G PCIe 2.0. The P222 is a x8 5G PCIe 3.0.

The Gen8 slot is:

PCIe 3.0/2.0* x16 x16 Low Profile

NOTE: * Processor dependent. Xeon is PCIe 3.0. Celeron and Pentium are PCIe 2.0.

NOTE: ** Indicates the number of physical electrical lanes running to a PCI-e connector.

Thanks for the feedback guys, final 2 questions:

1. To use a 3.0 card I need a Xeon or similar processor?

2. Will the P420 work for my application?

Found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Smart-Array-P420-2GB-FBWC-6Gb-2-Ports-Int-SAS-Controller-HP-631671-B21-/111283541527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e9041617 Found your post on the subject Schoondoggy so don't worry about question 2. 

Edited by lylej

1. To use a 3.0 card I need a Xeon or similar processor?

For the G8 Microserver yes. The stock Celeron and Pentium CPUs that fit are PCIe 2.0 only.

2. Will the P420 work for my application?

The P420 is the next model up from the P222. It will fit and will work with iLO monitoring but it isn't officially supported by HP. There is no guarantee that HP won't break compatibility in the future but I doubt that will happen.

Your problem will be that the card only has internal or external ports. You can't get a mixture like the P222. Make sure you get the low profile bracket for it as well. The regular sized bracket doesn't fit in the Microserver.

Edited by GotNoTime

For the G8 Microserver yes. The stock Celeron and Pentium CPUs that fit are PCIe 2.0 only.

The P420 is the next model up from the P222. It will fit and will work with iLO monitoring but it isn't officially supported by HP. There is no guarantee that HP won't break compatibility in the future but I doubt that will happen.

Your problem will be that the card only has internal or external ports. You can't get a mixture like the P222.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify something, does this mean that the P420 will not work, at all, with the stock CPU... in other words, in order to use the P420 I need to upgrade to a Xeon or similar processor?

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify something, does this mean that the P420 will not work, at all, with the stock CPU... in other words, in order to use the P420 I need to upgrade to a Xeon or similar processor?

PCIe is backwards compatible. It will just run at PCIe 2.0 speeds.