RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Altecice

ILO stuck at 40c CPU temp and wont spin the fan up above 6%?

schoondoggy
33 minutes ago, r00t said:

What I am wondering now is if there is any way to fake "PROCESSOR_ZONE" sensors to believe the temp is higher.

Perhaps to sandwich a thin copper wire between the processors and solder that wire to the temp sensors....

Do you have any PCIe cards in the server?

r00t
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Do you have any PCIe cards in the server?

Yes, a RAID p421 controller.

It may be a good idea to remove it and try... but it should not be the problem, since it is a HP card...

I have also obtained a iLO advanced trial license and installed it to see if it is a $$$ issue but nothing changed.

I have posted many questions regarding this issue in HP forums and I am consistently ignored. There must be something fishy...

Edited by r00t

r00t

Tested to remove the extra RAID controller and nothing. Everything exactly the same.

How it is possible that this obvious temp issue remained unsolved for all these years?

I guess that the "sea of sensors" bullshit could not operate with each one of the possible CPU models out there so what they did is they assume a min temp for the cpu at 40C and they sum up the temp coming from the inlet sensor (which they assume is around 30C). Using that they run the fans in the "optimal" configuration no matter the real CPU temp. If on top of that, the inlet sensor increases, they just increase by a certain factor the fan speed.

The problem arises when the inlet temp is way below the one they expect, and then the fan speed is insufficient. I have no other explanation if this insane issue.