RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Altecice

ILO stuck at 40c CPU temp and wont spin the fan up above 6%?

mooooodeerf

Do you have iLo updated to the latest firmware?

After i tried the switch 6, i made the update.

I'll try it again today to see if it works.

mooooodeerf

Do you have iLo updated to the latest firmware?

Already tried, nothing changes.  -_-

schoondoggy

If the system is under a year old, I would open a ticket with HP support to see if they have seen this before.

paradox

I've been monitoring my temps in iLo lately too and I have noticed that while all the other temps change and go 2-3 degrees higher under Plex load, the CPU never changes from 40c - however my fan speed % does go up and down. Ranges from 18-30%. Latest firmware for everything etc. Same cpu as @Altecice too, Xeon E3-1230 V2. At least even though my CPU sensor doesn't seem to be working I've got the fan going on an aftermarket heatsink on it, so it's probably fine, it never really gets taxed either. Would be nice to have the sensor working though.

Edited by paradox

DIABLO

I've been monitoring my temps in iLo lately too and I have noticed that while all the other temps change and go 2-3 degrees higher under Plex load, the CPU never changes from 40c - however my fan speed % does go up and down. Ranges from 18-30%. Latest firmware for everything etc. Same cpu as @Altecice too, Xeon E3-1230 V2. At least even though my CPU sensor doesn't seem to be working I've got the fan going on an aftermarket heatsink on it, so it's probably fine, it never really gets taxed either. Would be nice to have the sensor working though.

You can use third party software to check the CPU temp such as Realtemp, that won't help with the fan speed of course though.

• Like 1

DannyBiker

I'm also facing an issue with the fan speed (stucked at 32%) : 

I'm running Proxmox on a SSD installed in one of the bay through an IcyBox adapter. The 3 others bays are used by standard hard drives. The SSD has been set as the primary booting disk in SmartArray. The others disks were not "declared" through SmartArray.

I chose not use the AHCI booting method for the SSD specifically to avoid the known noisy issue...but it seems that I'm affected anyway !

Is there a way to reduce the fan speed ?

Edited by DannyBiker

FCM

Hi guys,

I've also upgraded to the 1230 V2 and I have the same issue. Temp is stuck at 40 degrees Celsius no matter what. Consequently, the fan will not spin up when there's an increase in CPU temp.

I've confirmed this via lm-sensors and using the cpu stress test from the phoronix test suite (I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS). Unfortunately, lm-sensors detection only finds CPU sensors, but no fan reading.

Has anyone confirmed a fix or workaround for this? Can the fan be controlled via OS?

Is this an isolated issue or do all gen8s have this bug? It would be a pretty big one, given the fact this product is sold on the idea of reliability...

FCM

I've managed to bring it to 43 degrees after stress testing it for about 20 mins.

However, I'm a bit worried as lm-sensors reports temps above 75 degrees for all 4 cores.

Might it be that the iLO cpu reading is not the one from the CPU itself but a different sensor placed somewhere close by? Then the readout might make sense.

I'm thinking they've done some calculations based on the TDP for the Pentium CPUs the system comes equiped with and then tuned the sensor so that it reads the temp somewhere else (maybe at the passive heatsink level).

Kieeps

I made a post about this a while back complaining about the constant 40C after switching to a 1265L V2 and a constant 6% fanspeed.

ESXi shows the same value and i cannot get ESXi to pass the sensors to a WM that have some kind of sensor software

So what i did was to get my ir temperature thingy, one of those things you point at stuff and get the temp from whatever surface its pointed at... Its not a perfect way to read cpu temps but since its just a heatsink i figured it could show a somewhat accurate value if pointed towards the base of the zink, close to the cpu.

I didnt do an stresstest but its under a fair bit of stress allready (damn minecraft and its java) running 4 VMs. 25C was the highest spot on the zink i could get, i will try to find some kind of boot cd that contans stress software, but after seeing this value i can finaly relax a bit ;-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk