RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Altecice

ILO stuck at 40c CPU temp and wont spin the fan up above 6%?

Altecice

Hey guys,

I have my Gen8 set up with an Xeon 1230-V2 CPU (turbo off), Latest drivers/Firmware on Windows Server 2012 R2 that I use for Hyper-V. I am using the onboard B120i raid controller ( I have read about using add-in cards causing high fan speeds but I am having the opposite issue haha).

But my ILO is stuck at reporting the CPU temperature as 40c (it was the exact same when it has its original Celeron as well). This causes a knock on effect of the main 120mm fan never spinning up past 6% even when the CPU is toasting at 70c while testing. Has anyone ever come across this before?

I have the Thermal controls in the BIOS set to HP power save & Performance. Currently as a temporary workaround I have set the cooling mode to Increased Cooling but this causes the fan to sit at 35% and again its verging on the 60-70c temps and it wont spin up any further.

Id idealy like the server to keep quiet when not doing much and spin up as much as it likes when its under load. Is their something basic I am missing here?

Thanks

Edited by Altecice

Joe_Miner

With my 45W TDP 1265Lv2 I'm comfortable running my BIOS cooling mode on Increased Cooling -- anything less than that and my temps are too high for too long -- and recovery from heavy use takes way tooooo long.  With a 69W TDP you may have to go for the Max.

Another alternative is to check out some of the mods in threads about CPU Cooling in the pinned "Gen8 Links Thread" -- the passive CPU cooler in the Gen8 is only rated for ~35W so you may have to go with an active CPU cooling system.

The CPU Temps shown in iLO4 will never drop below 40C but they do go higher -- at least they have for me when using Prime95 -- the problem is when it's running that hot you'll see unhealthy (in my opinion) temps in other areas like RAM, iLO Chip, Chipset, LOM, etc.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Shonk

with a 1230 you need to be fitting something like this

image.jpg

Altecice

-snip-

-snip-

I understand I may need better cooling. But the issue I am having is ILO reporting a solid 40c at all times and it never changes no matter how hard I push my CPU and because ILO is used to regulate the fan at the back it just sits at 6% constantly. This is the issue I need help with, Is this a normal thing or is it meant to do its job and ramp up the fan speed?. The only way I can temporary solve it is to put the system into increased cooling mode so the fan goes from 6% > 35%. 

schoondoggy

You can try resetting iLO.

One of the switches on the motherboard resets it.

Joe_Miner

I understand I may need better cooling. But the issue I am having is ILO reporting a solid 40c at all times and it never changes no matter how hard I push my CPU and because ILO is used to regulate the fan at the back it just sits at 6% constantly. This is the issue I need help with, Is this a normal thing or is it meant to do its job and ramp up the fan speed?. The only way I can temporary solve it is to put the system into increased cooling mode so the fan goes from 6% > 35%. 

It's not normal.  The CPU temp will never show BELOW 40C in iLO but it will (at least in my tests) ramp up slightly as temps increase and even in optimal cooling the fan speed will ramp up slightly

As shown it the following snapshot from a series of tests I ran:

With Prime95 running and CoreTemp & OHM showing CPU temps in the Mid-80's the iLO showed a CPU Temp at 61C and the Fan speed had ramped up to 22% (BIOS was set to Optimal Cooling) NOTE: Sensors 03 = 63C, 05 = 59C and 13-LOM was 78C 

gallery_1229_39_363839.jpg

You can find a collection of temperature Studies at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6762-anyone-who-has-changed-the-heat-sink-on-a-gen8-microserver/?p=77590 

Try Schoondoggy's suggestion below:

Altecice

I will give that a shot, I am reading the user manual at the moment. As far as I am aware I just need to use the system maintenance switch (flick number 6 on and then boot).

'When the system maintenance switch position 6 is set to the On position, the system is prepared to erase all system configuration settings from both CMOS and NVRAM.'

Im not 100% sure if this will reset my B120i configs as well however.

Edited by Altecice

mooooodeerf

Hi Altecice,

Do you have any progress on this ?

I have the same problem with you.

mooooodeerf

Hi schoondoggy, i have tried this, and does't solve the problem.

Do you have any other suggestion?

schoondoggy

Hi schoondoggy, i have tried this, and does't solve the problem.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Do you have iLo updated to the latest firmware?