RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver N54L: Flexraid and Hard Drive

hussain

Hi,

I have currently Windows Home Server 2011 installed on my N54l installed on the original 250gb hard drive that came with the server. I have flexraid with three 2 tb harddrives in raid5 formation. Furthermore, I have installed a bluray writer. 

Now I have runout of space so am thinking to add one more 2tb drive. Can it be done in my setup. If not, I can install the drive in place of my bluray drive however do I need to install modified bios or has HP fixed their bios? 

Thanks

You have a couple options,

1. Average guy -     Replace bluray with new 2tb - advantage easy and straight forward.  disadvantage losing ODD

2. HSS Fan -           Use modded bios which I feel you should be and run a esata to sata cable from back to the inside and using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215377&cm_re=3.5_and_slim_odd-_-16-215-377-_-Productcan have both odd and 2tb drive but have to replace ODD to slim ODD laptop model.  keeps both ODD and additional storage

3. JoeMiner version - Again using modded bios, back up Boot drive and migrate it to a 256 or 500 GB SSD put it in space behind the hp light with the on board sata cable and use esata to sata for ODD or usb to sata for odd.  put new 2tb in 1 drive bay - advantage faster OS speed with minimal upgrade cost of complexity

4. Yodified/Schoondoggied - Take the JoeMiner version and like the Tim the toolman Taylor add more power use esata to sata with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994146&cm_re=2.5_and_slim_odd-_-17-994-146-_-Productand mirror your boot SSD drives for fault tolerance and still have a slim blu ray connected with a usb to slimsata cable..  Advantages protected boot drives now on SSD.  4 2tb drives in storage bays with all drives easily accessible and still a blu ray when you need it.  Disadvantage - 200 for SSD 80 for drive bay plus 60ish for blu ray your approaching cost of gen8 where the real modding starts.

• Like 1

Can you kindly provide me link to modded bios. Also if I use esata to sata connector, how do I provide power to my drive.  Also do i need to update the bios for "average guy" solution?

Thanks

Edited by hussain

You can grab the modded bios here

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3397-modified-bios-for-microserver-n40l-enables-hidden-features/

for power you will need a y power cable and split power off the cdrom. 

You dont need to modd your bios but it does give full access to all 6 sata ports (4 on the bay the odd and the esata ) so you can build raids as need as well as a host of other features.

the link is for n40l, is the bios and bios modification process the same?

Yes.