RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any problems turning off Microserver with power button?

g725s

Wishing I could turn off my WHS2011 Microserver with just the power button.  I had read in the past that you can turn a PC off with just the power button with other Windows OS's. Never setup up my PCs that way though.

I see in Power Options that you can set WHS 2011 to use the power button to turn off the computer.   As I now have my server headless in a closet and there are times when I don't need my server running for up to 4-5 days or more, it sure would make it easy to just push the power button when I leave the house for a few days.

What might be the problems, if any, doing this with a server running WHS 2011?  

Edited by g725s

I have never tried it with WHS2011, but in our lab we configure servers that way. Properly configured, a push on the power button will cause the server OS to go through a proper shutdown then power off the server. Put a monitor on your server, configure it and see if it does everything correctly when you push the power button to shut down.

I did today just setup my server to do that.  It appears that it is shutting down just as it would if I  were logged in and using a mouse to do it the sloooooow way ;-)    Thanks for the response mr. schoondoggy.  I guess I should be fine then.