RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help Dave Test the DS1515 -- mentioned in HSS 282

Joe_Miner

As mentioned in HSS 282 this evening Dave is looking for ideas on Testing the Synology DS1515 and running it through it paces

So post your ideas/suggestions on ways to evaluate the DS1515

create an iscsi lun and present to hyper-v or esx. Run some benchmark tools on the VMs that live on the 1515.

create a share to land backups on. I plan to do the same things (using esx) with my 1515+.

Edited by YetiTech
  • Like 1

Great thread guys.  I've never stress tested Plex on my existing Synology so I might give that a try.  Stream a few wifi connections and a couple of ethernet connected machines.  See when it starts to have problems.  I'll also try what Yeti suggests and attach it via iscsi to my 2012 Server.

I'll also need to compare results with one of my existing boxes.

Uh oh. It looks like I'm off to a bad start.  I did a quick compare of a few boxes on Synology.com and the ARM processor DS1515 is not capable of virtualization.  

See for yourself. https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare/DS1815+/DS1515+/DS415+/DS1515

The + box is an Intel CPU. Look at second column.

Going on with the iSCSI Connection, create 2 VMs (server os) that you put on AD.  Have plex running on both and as well as having the share on DFS (Distributed File System). Not only will this test sequential reads and writes but with DFS you can maximize the load testing as it is having to double write items as you copy movies back and forth to the box.  

Next would be set up 4 IP Cameras with Salient Systems Completeview (60 day demo available with 4 IP Cameras) running with it re-encoding the 4 streams it is equivalent to constently transcoding 4 DVDs at time and brings my corporate servers to their knees around the 32-40 camera mark.  could use a hyperv host from the previous test for this.

• Like 1

Great thread guys.  I've never stress tested Plex on my existing Synology so I might give that a try.  Stream a few wifi connections and a couple of ethernet connected machines.  See when it starts to have problems.  I'll also try what Yeti suggests and attach it via iscsi to my 2012 Server.

I'll also need to compare results with one of my existing boxes.

Uh oh. It looks like I'm off to a bad start.  I did a quick compare of a few boxes on Synology.com and the ARM processor DS1515 is not capable of virtualization.  

See for yourself. https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare/DS1815+/DS1515+/DS415+/DS1515

The + box is an Intel CPU. Look at second column.

Wow...looks like you can't do any type of virtualization at all with it. Under the Storage Manager, do you even see an iSCSI section? If you do not, then its not going to work for that. Bummer.

Wow...looks like you can't do any type of virtualization at all with it. 

It's an ARM CPU.  Makes it a huge fail in my eyes.  Intel or AMD x64 CPUs are faster, use similar power, and can do visualization, transcoding, etc, etc.  

I hope the 1515 is cheap, because if it isn't....

It's an ARM CPU. Makes it a huge fail in my eyes. Intel or AMD x64 CPUs are faster, use similar power, and can do visualization, transcoding, etc, etc.

It is just product differentiation. The DS1515 is aimed at "Home to Business Workgroup" whilst the + models are "Small and Medium Business".

There isn't any technical reason that you can't have the virtualization features on the DS1515. Synology just want you to buy the more expensive + models. The only part of the VAAI API that really cared about speed was UNMAP but that has its own problems and is defaulted to off now anyway. ATS would be fully supported as well.

Technical reason is it'd be pointlessly slow.

Why they're still insisting on putting fridge CPUs in NAS boxes is beyond me.