RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

3G/4G to Wireless Router

Mr Bill

Good day all,

I know this is off of the Home Server subject, but it has to do with computers and networking.

I attended a conference in Europe this summer that had satellite for internet connection. It was a very poor setup. Max speeds were about 512K when it had connectivity, which was about 25% of the time.

Someone had mentioned to me after the fact about setting up a 3G or 4G USB dongle to a wireless router. With this setup, we would use the cell link to get internet connection and then be able to distribute that for the attendees via a wireless router.

Has anyone heard of this type of setup before or done this?

I see that NetGear has a unit designed for this.

http://www.netgear.c...nd/default.aspx

I am partial to LinkSys and would be interested in a solution based on their hardware.

Thanks for your time.

Mr. Bill

lovewhs

Mr. Bill

The netgear work great on the other side of the pond. I would think you phone bill would cost alot if you were on it for some time. Did you check out why Satellite wasn't work right?

Ron

Dave

Linksys has the WRT54G3G. I've never used it but they have other routers under Cisco that are able to take an external radio. Several companies have this kind of gear. Try these guys. http://www.cradlepoint.com/

cskenney

Depending on what agreement the conference had with the company providing the satellite service and the number of people who were accessing the net, the satellite may not have had bandwidth available per user.

Mr Bill

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Lovewhs - Ron, The satellite issue was intermittent signal connection between the dish and satellite. When it was connected, we had a solid 512K link. In Europe, the data packages for 3G and 4G have unlimited data limit, so phone bill would be constant no matter how much bandwidth is used.

HSS-Dave, Thanks for the information on that Linksys, I hadn’t seen that one.

Cskenny, We thought of that as an issue, but we were the other side of a Linksys WRT54G so all that the satellite receiver and company saw was one device.

I knew that the community would have a wealth of knowledge and information.

Have a great day.

Mr. Bill

Edited by Mr Bill