RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 Hard drives question

colinw

Hi There,

Not long received my G8, just waiting for some memory to arrive.

I will be transferring two 3tb drives from my old nas drive into the g8. (once i've backed everything up)

The o/s is already on the sata odd port as raid 0 so the four bays are free.

Can i put these two 3tb drives in as raid 1 and put my files back on, and then at a later date add two more as a raid 1 etc.

Also can i put these two 3tb drives in as individual if i want, and add two later as raid1 or also individual etc.

I'm not 100% sure what i can and can't do via the raid controller.

Thanks...

The B120i does not support RAID migration, so you can not convert a RAID1 to a RAID10. Running two separate RAID1 arrays works fine.

thanks for the post,

i'm not intending to migrate over from the old nas, or use raid 10.

i really just wanted to know if i can have combinations of say raid 1 or raid 0 or individual disks as well via the B120i ?

So like i put two in now as raid 1, then add two later as individual etc.

ok thanks, but i can also set two up together as raid 0 or 1 etc like usual as well ?

Yes.

The B120i can do RAID 0 (striping), RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 1+0 (Striped mirror) amongst the 5 drives you can attach to the G8 Microserver. If you have a single drive then it will be setup as a RAID 0 array with only 1 drive. If you have 2 drives then you can do RAID 0 or RAID 1 across them or set it up as two independent drives.

Edited by GotNoTime

ok great thanks for clearing that up.

As i will be adding my two drives soon once backed up, then add two more later and decide how i want to configure them.