RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Failover/Load Balanced Internet Connection?

JackoUK
Whilst I do not want to pay enterprise prices for my home computing I have been trying to see where I can introduce enterprise-like security at reasonable cost.

Microsoft is helping here with Storage Spaces. Whereas I might previously have bought two 6TB disks and mirrored them ... I am now intending to employ eight 2TB disks in a 4-column mirror under Storage Spaces. This should improve read performance with data being extracted simultaneously from multiple disks. Better still when a disk fails the remaining disks are used in parallel to rebuild the failed drive, so risk time is fractionalised.

The SMB multichannel feature gives the same benefits for file transfers. Even with consumer-grade switches multiple network connections offer both resilience to a single switch/network adapter failure and a multiplication factor on bandwidth during normal operations.

Which leaves the main connection to the internet. My ISP link has been highly reliable - only one major outage in 8 years (6 hours) - but it still represents a single point of failure. There are a few products emerging which could solve this problem e.g. Speedify (formerly Dispatch)

and iNetFusion.

These combine multiple internet connections into a single pipe, providing bandwidth aggregation and failover. While internet downtime is just a nuisance in the home context ... homes do generally have both wired and 3G connections, so why not use them in combination?

Has anyone experimented in this area?

Or are there inexpensive routers which will do the same trick?

Or maybe use a tablet with 3G/4G as a manual switchover if the wired connection is offline?

GotNoTime

Mikrotik routers will do it and so will most high end consumer routers that have a USB socket on it.

Most mobile phone companies in the UK don't offer unlimited data for tethering purposes though so you may find that your bills will be high or that they'll terminate your contract.

A better option is to have 1x ADSL/FTTC and 1x Cable. This does mean you need to pay for 2 internet connections and also be in a cable area such as VM.

You won't be able to combine all your connections together to download/upload a single file however without your own router at the other end. You will be able to do multiple downloads at the same time that when added all together will max out your connection.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, Sophos UTM (and pfSense) support link aggregation and uplink balancing for the internet/external adapter.

Sophos UTM has a home (free) license but it's limited to 50 devices. pfSense is less friendly, but allows for many more devices.

oj88

Alternatively, if you want a plug-and-play solution, there are a lot of consumer routers that comes with multiple-WAN interfaces and/or 3G/4G support.

I'm biased towards Asus wireless routers and most current models that has a USB port will support 3G/4G dongles for backup links. Most of these routers will also allow you to use an unused LAN port as a 2nd WAN interface. For a start, here's the search result from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asus+router+3G%2F4G&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aasus+router+3G%2F4G

But at essentially 99/99% uptime, your internet connection fares better than most. As GotNoTime mentioned, a persistent 3G/4G connection may be too expensive unless it's only configured to go up when the main link is down.

• Like 1

Poppapete

Just connect your phone to your individual desktop/laptop for the time the cable/fibre is down. For most places in the world it is too expensive to attach to the LAN when it might start downloading 27 updates to who knows what. But I must admit the data rates and allowances are plummeting even here in Australia.

Poppapete

Just connect your phone to your individual desktop/laptop for the time the cable/fibre is down. For most places in the world it is too expensive to attach to the LAN when it might start downloading 27 updates to who knows what. But I must admit the data rates and allowances are plummeting even here in Australia.

umar.yaqoob

Whilst I do not want to pay enterprise prices for my home computing I have been trying to see where I can introduce enterprise-like security at reasonable cost.

Microsoft is helping here with Storage Spaces. Whereas I might previously have bought two 6TB disks and mirrored them ... I am now intending to employ eight 2TB disks in a 4-column mirror under Storage Spaces. This should improve read performance with data being extracted simultaneously from multiple disks. Better still when a disk fails the remaining disks are used in parallel to rebuild the failed drive, so risk time is fractionalised.

The SMB multichannel feature gives the same benefits for file transfers. Even with consumer-grade switches multiple network connections offer both resilience to a single switch/network adapter failure and a multiplication factor on bandwidth during normal operations.

Which leaves the main connection to the internet. My ISP link has been highly reliable - only one major outage in 8 years (6 hours) - but it still represents a single point of failure. There are a few products emerging which could solve this problem e.g. Speedify (formerly Dispatch)
and iNetFusion.
These combine multiple internet connections into a single pipe, providing bandwidth aggregation and failover. While internet downtime is just a nuisance in the home context ... homes do generally have both wired and 3G connections, so why not use them in combination?

Has anyone experimented in this area?

Or are there inexpensive routers which will do the same trick?

Or maybe use a tablet with 3G/4G as a manual switchover if the wired connection is offline?

Hello Jacko

This is Omhar from the Fusion team.

Yes iNetFusion can help you combine your 3G, 4G , Wired or any other internet connections for their combined bandwidth and reliability.

None of your traffic leaves you computer to any third-party server because of iNetFusion, the aggregation of bandwidth is done right from your computer.

We offer a free fully functional 7days trial, Do take it for a spin and let us know if you have any interesting usecases. 

Regards