RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Painful microserver - how to make it reliably start from sd card?

ioan

Hi!

I'm new microserver gen8 user. My configuration in 4x 3tb wd green's in hdd cage, and

one samsung 128gb ssd in odd slot. Since microserver cannot boot from odd slot, i've placed my ubuntu /boot on microsd card.

Now i have following situation - it didn't boot in most of cases. It just didn't try to boot from sd card. 

Sometimes i see failures in sd card reader initialization (in ILOs log), but sometimes it works without a problems (in case, if i plug off power cable and plug it in again).

I need to plug off-plug in power cable few times in order to boot my system.

Is it any possibility to make sd card booting reliable ?

Thanks

Hi!

I'm new microserver gen8 user. My configuration in 4x 3tb wd green's in hdd cage, and

one samsung 128gb ssd in odd slot. Since microserver cannot boot from odd slot, i've placed my ubuntu /boot on microsd card.

Now i have following situation - it didn't boot in most of cases. It just didn't try to boot from sd card. 

Sometimes i see failures in sd card reader initialization (in ILOs log), but sometimes it works without a problems (in case, if i plug off power cable and plug it in again).

I need to plug off-plug in power cable few times in order to boot my system.

Is it any possibility to make sd card booting reliable ?

Thanks

How are you configuring the 4 3TB drives in Ubuntu?

If you are using mdadm or zfs (or any other software based raid solution in ubuntu) then you have the same setup as me. I do the following

At bootup, go into the HP raid array setup

Create a new array, and only add the SSD to the array

Set it bootable.

I then install Ubuntu to the SSD, and install the boot partition to that drive (in my case it shows up as /dev/sde)

When the Microserver boots, it attempts to boot from the SSD directly,  however when Ubuntu loads, it starts treating the HP controller as a standard intel controller (due to not loading the HP drivers) and away you go.

• Like 1

How are you configuring the 4 3TB drives in Ubuntu?

If you are using mdadm or zfs (or any other software based raid solution in ubuntu) then you have the same setup as me. I do the following

At bootup, go into the HP raid array setup

Create a new array, and only add the SSD to the array

Set it bootable.

I then install Ubuntu to the SSD, and install the boot partition to that drive (in my case it shows up as /dev/sde)

When the Microserver boots, it attempts to boot from the SSD directly,  however when Ubuntu loads, it starts treating the HP controller as a standard intel controller (due to not loading the HP drivers) and away you go.

that's worked, thanks!!!